Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: nestork - About your image links
First, this is technically not a top-post. The info included below (starting at *****) was copied from something that nestork sent in response to one of my posts in another thread. I've included it in...
2
2

Telephone wire
I just had occasion to put in a new telephone outlet. I went down to Tru-Value and bought 50 ft of wire. I didn't have any choices, I got the last one in the store. My first problem was that I cut off...
41
41

Tuck Pointing or siding
I have a one family 2 story home. The back needs tuck pointing. I have no i dea of what is a comfortable price to have it done. Then a friend mentioned to me why not do siding? Now i am torn between...
6
6

Many uses for Vise-grips
Many uses for Vise-grips Man shot with arrow in head, feels great after it's removed. That's the headline from Leno's Headlines last night. Shot by an ex-roommate with a cross-bow, the arrow went in...
7
7

Kenmore dishwasher 665 16372301
I own a Kenmore dishwasher. It stopped working about 3 days ago. At that ti me, I was able to select the type of wash and rinse. The corresponding ligh t above the button would light up. No other...
7
7

Septic Tank Treatments (Rid-X, etc.) ?
Hello, Any of you folks have any experience with the Rid-X product I think it's called, or any other septic tank treatments, as to prolong the time required between pump-outs ? Stuff work, or... ? Any...
4
4

Painting contractor
Long time lurker here, great group BTW. I need to hire someone to stain my place, and the economy must be good, or maybe what I have in mind doesn't appeal to painters. I bought stain last year...
8
8

Roof Estimate Help
Hi everyone, We just bought a house and are new to home repair, etc. We need to get the roof replaced and I have the following written estimate from a fairly new c ompany (6 months). They have decent...
31
31

Garage Rooftop Exhaust Fan
I do hope my asking a question here is not unwelcome. I read here often, f inding the folks about very helpful in any home repair discussion I may nee d to learn about. My home is in the California...
4
4

Outside doors and water leakage
Leza Wang's problem with her door could be the tip of the iceberg. I don't think many people realize the standard metal clad entry doors like Leza's are not completely water tight. If rain is running...
2
2

Trex - horrible to paint
Since I was painting the (wood) back porch, thought I'd paint the (Trex) si de steps to match. (Yes, the Trex is several years old, so that wasn't a pr oblem). Terrible idea! After scrubbing and...
30
30

What local stores carry "euro" style glass hinges?
I have an old ikea glass cabinet with a hinge like this: The ring with two screw holes broke but Ikea no longer carries this cabinet and hence no longer has this part. Many of these hinges look...
4
4

how to fix this main door?
Hi I am not sure really how to fix this main door? (please see video below). I think there was a screen door on top but got removed or something. Now one side of the door is missing board (wood) to...
4
4

hole in the basement floor
Hi I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix...
33
33

How to seal glass fibers into fiberglass pole?
I bought a limb trimmer with a fiberglass pole. It's weathered and there are tiny fiberglass spikes sticking out all over. I tried to scrape them off, to no avail. Think I need to paint it or...
3
3