80 year old House- question about large bow window- large window sill-4 feet wide on inside..

Hi, Ive got an old house... with a large bow window.. On the inside I have a long window sill that hugs the bow window- it is long and wide- approx 4 feet wide... I am painting the sill and window but noticed some holes on ths sill maybe 5 holes.. Was these a reson for these holes? some type of ventilation? They are the size of a screw? I was just wondering if this was standard practice for older homes- that is to drill hole in the sill?? Thanks KOS
Hi, Ive got an old house... with a large bow window.. On the inside I have a long window sill that hugs the bow window- it is long and wide- approx 4 feet wide... I am painting the sill and window but noticed some holes on ths sill maybe 5 holes.. Was these a reson for these holes? some type of ventilation? They are the size of a screw? I was just wondering if this was standard practice for older homes- that is to drill hole in the sill?? Thanks KOS
Not enough information. Need to know construction and materials stuff is made from and where the holes are. Ideally, a picture
On Monday, March 19, 2012 4:34:41 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:

the window sill is made out of wood... this is a sill land the bow window is next to it, part of window setup

The house is 80-years-old. Maybe somebody had something attached to the sill at one time, like a shelf for flowers or something.
--
Tegger

In

Is it just that one window in the en tire house? Lots of 80+ year old homes around here and I've never heard of holes in the inside. Between windows yes, but not indoors.
Screw size holes wouldn't be for ventilation in that size surface, IMO. With a house that old, there would likely be plenty of "ventilation" elsewhere, especially around an old window.
There may have been some additional/temporary framework, added onto the interior, to put some sort of shielding against a draft coming through the window unit. Is there evidence of other screw holes along the sides and top, maybe, to indicate something was attached there, as well?
As someone said, there isn't enough info for us to speculate or reason more so.
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:21:12 -0700 (PDT), KOS

am painting the sill and window but noticed some holes on ths sill maybe 5 holes.. Was these a reson for these holes? some type of ventilation? They are the size of a screw? I was just wondering if this was standard practice for older homes- that is to drill hole in the sill??

The former owner was single and needed sex!!!