80% vs 93% AFUE furnaces

Page 2 of 2
Well he is right.
80% VS furnace cost is about the same as 92%+
You will be the fool paying gas bills.
Brian wrote:

Well, that's kind of funny you should bring that up... This guy quoted me $1200 more for the install than all the other contractors who have quoted me the 92-93% furnaces.

That, plus the extra for the install.....
The way gas & electricity prices are going -- it might be worth while to look at a high effeciency geothermal.

The 80% unit is clear not as energy efficient as the higher rated models. If he was trying to say otherwise, he is an idiot (or a lair) as others have suggested. However, that is only part of the picture. He may have been talking about total cost over the life of the unit.
When we replaced our furnace five years ago, the price of gas was lower so the math may work out differently for you today. However, we went with at 85% efficiency unit because the step up to a 90+% unit cost more than it would save in ten years. Also, we heard from several companies the the higher efficiency furnaces were more prone to failure and costly repairs. That part of the picture may also have changed in the intervening years. Several companies gave us general advice to go with the lowest efficiency in a condensing type furnace (low temp exhaust).
Check out the repair histories on the various brands and models. Work through the math of energy cost plus unit and installation costs. Do the reseach and make your own decision.
Robert Haar wrote:

means an annual difference IN TODAYS ENERGY PRICES of less than $20 A YEAR!!!!!
We ALMOST don't need a furnace, but must pay and OUTLANDISH price because 80% AFUE is mandated by the Federal Government. When I build the new house, I can afford to put in anything I want, but I WILL NOT PAY FOR ANYTHING MORE THAN THE ABSOLUTE WORST EFFICIENCY FURNACE I CAN FIND. In my area, heating efficiency will NEVER payback in the lifetime of the furnace. The cost difference between 80% and 92% will NEVER be recovered.
www.hvacopcost ways I will save about $90, but it says that I spend $689 for heat, and I KNOW that I spend less than $200 TOTAL NOW.
Robert Haar wrote:

He may have been (didn't come across that way though), but seeing as I would be paying $1200 more for this guy to install an 80% furnace with VS instead of a 93% 2 stage, somehow I don't think I would be able to recoup that 1200 in the near future...

Thanks... Got 3 more contractors this week and after that away we go...