80 gallon water heater blanket

I have an 80 gallon water heater. It's fairly new, but the energy savings label says that it's off the scale on the bad side of energy costs. And it does feel slightly warm to the touch.
I would like to put a blanket on it, but the only ones I can find are only for 60 gallon heaters or smaller. I've tried Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, Sears, Amazon.com and probably some other places that I've forgotten. I suppose I could make my own out of attic insulation, but that seems like a Bad Idea.
Where can I get a blanket for an 80 gallon heater?
Mike McSwell
snipped-for-privacy@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:

Can't you just wrap it with a big blanket or comforter?
I suppose I could make my own out of attic insulation, but that seems like a Bad Idea.(snip)
Actually, it sounds like a good idea. I did it myself and it works fine. Just have the kraft paper outside, and I use some slightly snug carpet thread all the way around as a backup to the duct tape.-Jitney

I went out an bought a 5 foot roll ~25 feet long of the silver foil stuff. Wrapped the water heater with that top down. Missing the bottom foot or so. Hot water rises anyway. Mine was electric so doing the top was a breeze. Becareful if your working with gas. I used the foil duct tape cause it sticks and stays.
20% of home energy costs are represented by the energy used to heat water. Wrap it up and don't forget the dischage piping. Put R38 around my electric tank rockwood insulation bats, hard to tell if their are bonafide reductions in costs, but it makes me feel better.

Since water heaters are about the same size, how about two fortys? You'll have plenty of overlap. Seeing as how the capacity is proportional to the square of the radius, while the circumference is directly proportional to the radius.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.