8-year old Frigidaire 5000 btu Window AC - Timers intermittent!

Mid-2000s Frigidaire 5000 btu Window AC - Timers frickn NOT WORKING!
I own two of these, one is 5000 and the other a 10,000 btu, both of this style, electronic, with remotes:
http://salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/FRA054XT7.jpg
I turn them on, press 'Timer' button either on unit or on remote, select how many hours I want it to run before shutting down, I.E.: 1.5hours.
3-4 hour later, the DAMN THING is still blasting away, and the timer indicator light on the AC's touch panel is not lit!
This has been happening more often in the last couple seasons than when they were new.
What's going on here? Other than this timer issue, they are reliable and tough, and cool the rooms as intended.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, If the timer is controlling a mechanical relay as an on/off switch, contats may be sticking. First thing to check I guess.
On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 4:08:31 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

If the AC electronics are screwed and not easy to fix, etc, another solution might be to get a separate timer to put the AC on. Finding one that it plug type and that can handle the load may be a problem though...... Ebay maybe?
On 7/3/2014 6:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Intermatic+HB113+Timer
trader_4 posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP