Subject Author Posted Replies

OT for home repair -- armor all on tires
Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor All web site says it is good for tires, helps...
45
45

Bathroom floors
My bathrooms are back to back, and the floors are in serious need of repair. They're "sagging," and one day I expect to sit on the commode and go thru to the ground underneath. I think this is a...
14
14

Melnor "fire hose" nozzle review
I bought one, today. It has the "kewl" factor of being big, and looking like fire department item. I tried it, and two other nozzles on the same water faucet, using the same hose. The other two were a...
2
2

isolating furnace intake
As part of duct sealing process, I need to improve the air intake port show in the photo so that it doesn't suck air from under the staircase: The round port is 14 inch diameter. The grill cover is...
10
10

Bondo to fill in spots on concrete porch
I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2 steps). Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based; later ones water-based (California banned...
26
26

Glue loose paper back to particle board
I have a bathroom vanity that got seriously wet and the exterior wood look contact paper came loose from the vertical particle board structure on part of the side of the vanity. I fixed the leak and...
3
3

Dryer vent piping
I have an electric dryer that vents through the crawl space to an outside o pening. The run is about 12-15 feet. It uses the flexable aluminum type pip e and I want to replace it with somethign...
7
7

Small safe/container for disaster protection in basement...
Hello all - I need a small-sized fireproof AND waterproof storage box, to store some items in the basement of my house. The items stored will not necessarily be "valuable" in a dollar-wise sense, but...
38
38

Expansion tank with no pressure regulator?
I looked at a friends basement water lines recently and noticed that he did n't have a water pressure regulator but he had an expansion tank above his water heater. He said the guy who installed the...
8
8

Water heater
Are Rheem products a wholesale item? Had a Rheem WH years ago, it lasted about 13 years. Have been buying (gas) Bradford White WH's, I'm going on my 3rd one. They seem to last around 5-6 years. Can't...
8
8

GE Microwave: No Lights, No Nothing?
This one: Less than 3 years old. Slow learner that I am (and needing a particular dimension) this is the second one of this exact same make/model I have bought - the first one having gone belly-up...
6
6

Bleeding a radiator, no bleeder valve
I'm trying to bleed my radiator in my new apartment and I've found that the re's no bleeder valve. I have 3 rads in the apartment which was recently re -furbished; all of them have the same problem....
9
9

fire ants near the home
This fellow recommends gasoline, and fire to kill off fire ant hills. I wonder if alcohol drygas would do the same job? Gasoline tends to poison the soil. The lawn grass might not grow back. ....
10
10

Ovens with "lift top" ranges for easy cleaning
While there are ranges made with hinged cooktops so that they can be raised for easy cleaning of the insulation cover, anyone who cleans as many stoves as I do knows that while that might be a...

Household goods affordability
According to the Carpe Diem site one had to work 885 hours in 1959 to earn the same goods as one can earn working 170 hours in 2013. More here: One would work about 28 hours to buy a gas stove in 2013...
180
180