79 days left before the end of TV.

Page 6 of 7

And around that point it'll be coming and going, with the picture blocky and the sound in little bursts.

It will, just in a different form.

dropped pixels .0001% of the time. dropped pixels .01% of the time. dropped pixels .1% of the time. dropped pixels 2% of the time. dropped pixels 10% of the time. dropped pixels 40% of the time. dropped pixels 90% of the time. dropped pixels 99.1% of the time. with similar erratic audio.
That's NOT "all or nuttin'".
[snip]

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I don't believe the actual reception curve will look anything at all that smooth from the very low to the very high as it is in analog. There will be a sharp cutoff from essentially undetectable to unusable w/ digital in practice.

I agree, except that marginal levels will leave drops with pixels.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

In general, those will be in what I would describe as "essentially undetectable" for those who are used to watching marginal analog reception.
In fact, I would say that as long as there's sufficient signal that a signal locks and decodes frames, any such former viewer will have significantly better picture than previously. It will, however, be so that when the signal formerly was in the really bad snowy, marginal color and sound level that was still at least something moving on the screen the digital will be zippo...

With digital, and marginal reception you get perfectly clear blocks of color mixed in with black blocks and audio like "BIP......BUP......BAP........BLAP.........." all the time, as it comes and goes.
Gary H wrote:

My experience has been a frame once or twice in a 5-6 minute period, otherwise a "no signal" message.

my friends on OTA report a watchable usable analog signal is being replaced with a blank digital signal.....
of coursew everyt one of those friends currently uses bunny ears and completely refuses even the thought of a outdoor antenna.
pittsburgh terrain is tough with many hills and ghosts no doubt making the situation worse.
they should allow analog to continue indefinetely, sets normally last 10 years minimum. more sets need to attrition out.
plus many converters dont support analog pass thru, so the low power and translator stations will be shut out, when everyone is forced to use a converter.
the entire program is a excellent example of government failure

Like the water saver toilets that take 3 flushes to work properly. When will congress learn to do the things it needs to do and keep their noses out of all the rest? KC
I have a low flow toilet that works perfectly on one flush. Of course, I suppose YOU could deposit a load of shit that no toilet would be able to handle.
KC wrote: | | Like the water saver toilets that take 3 flushes to work properly. | When will congress learn to do the things it needs to do and keep | their noses out of all the rest? | KC
KC wrote:

Andy comments:
I think some are designed so that when you give the handle a quick push, only enough water is released to flush pee.
And to flush something substantial, you have to hold the handle down for a bit so that the entire tank will empty into the bowl....
At least, that's the way mine seems to work....
Andy in Eureka, Texas

Like the water saver toilets that take 3 flushes to work properly. When will congress learn to do the things it needs to do and keep their noses out of all the rest? KC
************************************************ Old designs were like that. Our new ones have been perfect. Seems silly to use 5 gallons of water to flush 8 oz. of urine or a tiny turd when you can do it with 1.2 gallons. Get a Kohler or the new American Standard Cadet 4.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And the payback period on a $300 toilet, plus installation labor, is?.....
-- aem sends...

many water saver toilets espically the power flush are very noisey, waking the entire home at 4 am isnt good. they sound like a jet at take off
Mine is a Toto Drake and it makes sort of a quick gurgle, then fills very quickly. Not loud enough to disturb anyone.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: | | many water saver toilets espically the power flush are very noisey, | waking the entire home at 4 am isnt good. they sound like a jet at | take off

Some things are not about money, they are about working properly and convenience. I'm just suggesting that there are viable alternatives today. The OP condemned all low water flush toilets when the new ones work very well.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wasn't following thread closely- I thought OP was talking about replacing an old toilet, not one of the early low-flow ones.
You are right, of course- life is too damn short to keep fighting with a cranky toilet. I have no idea if the ones in this house are low-flow or not, and since I live in a water rich state, and have well and septic, and live alone, I don't really care. Given their age, I guess they probably are low-flow, but they have only needed plunging maybe once each in 3 years, so I guess I am satisfied with them.
-- aem sends...
the toilets made 20 years ago before Al Gore got involved worked fine, and never should have been redesigned by the government.
the government, and Al Gore, have no business being in the toilet business. I can totally assure you 100% that Al Gore doesn't have one of these useless devices in any of his homes.
James

A modern toilet that flushes well with less water can be had for about half the price you mentioned, and most people who inhabit this newsgroup are here because they like to do things themselves. Installing a toilet is a pretty simple job, even the first time you do it.
The ROI is of no consequence in the larger scheme of things. What is the ROI on all that hot water you use every morning for a shower? The benefits sure don't last very long.
That said, the reason low flow toilets have been mandated is that when everybody is required to use them, it saves enough water to greatly reduce the costs of supplying the water. So you save not just the cost of the water used, but also help keep your cost per gallon for all water you use at lower rates. They don't have to keep adding infrastructure and workers to keep up with demand.

What about audio?
There's one station here like the above (a frame once or twice in a 5-6 minute period, otherwise a "no signal" message). The others are usually good enough to watch (if the antenna is turned right). They got like Gary H described this September when Hurricane Ike passed by.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I got no comprehensible audio during the time I was doing the channel-searching experiment.