79 days left before the end of TV.

Page 4 of 7

I don't know why you think that. Very few people get their signal from OTA these days. I have 3 standard TVs that will all work just fine with cable. And, they will show up on places like Craigslist before people just throw them away. I just bought my girlfriend a 27" Sony Wega Flatscreen with the original remote off of CL for $30.00. That thing has a better picture than a lot of the LCDs that I've seen!

There are 10 or 20 percent or more that do, and that is still a large number of tvs. Plus a lot of people have cable or something but it isn't connected to the tv in the kitchen or the bathroom, and they'll buy a new tv to replace the one that doesn't work.

Maybe big expensive tv's will be on craig's list, but I don't have room or desire for big tv's anyhow. 19 inhces is my limit.
I find quite a few working tvs now. I'm sure there will be more right after the conversion.

I won't get around to looking there. But other people have benefitted from your post, I'm sure.

I don't know about the percentage, but isn't that the reason they came out with the converter boxes? And who in the world has cable, but has a TV in the kitchen and bathroom that isn't connected to cable? I've never seen such a thing. I have a TV in my kitchen that is connected to cable...why use an ant? And people that have a TV in a BR, are just plain weird, IMO. I go to the BR to do three things, and none of the 3 are to watch TV.

What does your room and desires, have to do with people throwing away perfecting working NTSC TVs between Christmas and March?
According to your claims, they will be on the sidewalks and next to dumpsters, regardless of size....If that's true, I guess I'm gonna be cruising the roads, very soon.

Converter boxes will be too much for some people. And I can even see it myself. Some people have postponed buying a new tv, because of the conversion or for other reasons, but the need for a converter box (and thus for two remote controls, or maybe one can control at least some tv functions from teh converter remote control) will push them over the edge, and they'll buy a new tv. They should take the old one to Goodwill Industries, but many won't bother. Heck, I once found a 1500 dollar electric wheel chair next to the dumpster at an apartment building not too far away. Worth 1500 dollars when I found it (maybe 4500 new). Fortunately it didn't get trashed. I took it home and donated to the MD or MS foundation.

People who live in apartments that come with only one jack, or more likely one in the living room and one in the big bedroom, who don't know how to connect splitters, drill holes, or run wires themselves. And either the apartment won't put in another jack or the tenant won't pay what seems like an inflated fee.

They're not going to go to the trouble of advertising smaller tvs, especially those that are more than a couple years old. Even on Craig's list where it is easy. I know my neighbors, based on what they throw away already. Some work long hours, and for almost none of them is 30 dollars is enough to get them to advertise.

I think it's true. That's one reaosn why I want my surgery in early January, so I'll be driving around by the time they're out.
I'll try to post back the middle of February, but I may forget or go out of town around then. (I forget things all the time these days. :( )
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:50:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

I watch very little TV if any at all, yet I have a theater room. No cable. Get all the news and weather online and with radio. My theater room is used for playing DVDs, no Blu-ray yet until prices come down. If there is a TV program I want to watch, I record it on my PC (I have a tuner) then play it back. I can watch an hour show in about 40 minutes when I skip the crap. Most of the time PBS is the only channel worth watching.

do you have an outside antenna for above?

OK, 2 questions, what do you mean by your PC having a tuner, and what is the signal source if you don't have cable?
On Tue 02 Dec 2008 09:30:33p, Ron told us...

Here is an example of a TV tuner card that can be inserted into a card slot in your PC.
http://tinyurl.com/55pgyj
However, you still need a signal source. If you don't have a high-speed broadband connection (via cable, DSL, etc.), you may not be able to received the signals. I'm not sure if these work with an antenna, but due to your location, you would probably need a high mast outdoor antenna, probably with a rotator.
That type of antenna setup should also work with your present converters and TVs and bring in more broadcast stations.
--
Wayne Boatwright

$200.00!? Ah, no thanks.

They have a series of things with a cutesy name that have co-ax input, from an antenna or cable, some with remote control and some with digital video recorder software for 80 to 150 iirc.
I saw one on sale at Staples or someplace on Thanksgiving weekend, but a( I didn't have time to check if it was the model I wanted. b) I still haven't connected my computer to my TVs, and I am willing to record via the computer, but I don't want to have to sit at my desk to watch the stuff.

Well, I have never bought any software. I use freeware, or what friends, family and my employer have given to me when they upgrade.
I built my current computer for $325.00 2 yrs ago, and I have 3 very nice 19" CRT monitors that I got from my employer when they went to flat panels.
Also, got Windows 2K Pro and XP Pro for free. (just got the XP a couple of months ago when my employer went to Vista)
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 04:54:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

My Hauppenpauge tuner is working with an attic antenna only, no cable. It comes with software, although poorly written, that will record programs (weekly, daily or one-time). It picks up high definition. The tuner card has absolutely nothing to do with the Internet, so it doesn't matter if you have DSL, cable, dialup, or no Internet at all. You can get an off-brand tuner card for as little as $20. There are tiny USB versions for laptop PCs or full-featured tuner cards. Tuner cards do produce heat, so make sure your PC has proper ventilation.
I think Ron probably meant that he was streaming TV shows through the internet, no antenna. Bill
wrote:

OK, 2 questions, what do you mean by your PC having a tuner, and what is the signal source if you don't have cable?
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 13:35:00 -0600, "bill allemann"

You can buy both analog and digital TV tuner cards that plug into a computer's PCI slot, connect via USB, or connect via ethernet that allow you to watch and record over the air TV, and work with a cable box to watch cable TV.
All these boards come with the manufacturer's own application to turn your computer into a TV. Or, if you have the Media Center Edition of XP, Vista Home Premium, or Vista Ultimate, you can use that.
-dickm

YTou can't upgrade XP to make it Media Edition, can you?
I find that strange. It seems like just the sort of thing people would want to do after the fact, weeks or months after installing XP.
Is Vista the same way?

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 13:35:00 -0600, "bill allemann"

That's possible but there are also tv cards that go in slots and receive tv from the air. A friend gave me one that he wasn't using anymore. I put a 4 foot piece of single strand wire in the co-ax connector and could get about three stations. (If I connected cable instead, or a better antenna to the same jack, I'd get more stations) The problem was that I could only see tv and couldn't use the computer. I think it was possible to put the tv picture in a little box in the corner, but then I could barely see it.
Instead I watch a 12 or 15 inch tv that is on the dresser to the left of me, and the computer is in front of me.
There's probably some way with the tv-card to save the tv show, but I don't want to fill my hard drive, and to play it back, I'd have to sit at my desk and still couldn't do my computer work at the same time..
It also has a radio tuner, with a separate antenna input, which I put another wire in, but it didn't get many stations, and I have a real radio on the bed behind me.

Only if you like the far left, liberal point of view.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Of course not. You had already inserted politics, the same basic comment twice in one thread, and there's no reason you shouldn't get some back at you.
You also misuse the word "hypocrisy". It's saying one thing and doing or believing another, in different forums, so that you give a false impression of your views in the first forum. I did everything in one post, no secret from anyone. You may find it inconsistent, but I show the reason it's not in the first paragraph above.
And Joe, if you think I'm wrong, you obviously don't listen to enough NPR. Plus it has almost no commercials, unlike the never ending commercials on AM.