79 days left before the end of TV.

Page 2 of 7

======================================================== Don't be all that concerned. You may find that you don't miss it. I've quit watching TV for the most part and find that I have more important things to do.
As long as you can get a couple of good newspapers, communicate with folks via E-mail, and visit frequently with friends, you should be happy. These newsgroups can afford an interesting passtime as well.
TV (radio too for the most part) is just trash with all variety of trashy people jabbering away at you. Get it out of your life if you can; you'll be a better person ---- yes, you will.
McDave ================================================================

Most broadcast TV is trash, but cable and sat have many very good informative channels. Discovery and History Channel are two of my favorites. Did you catch the 2 hour show on the life of Einstein? Some of the travel shows? While I'm proud to say I've never watched Desperate Housewives, I do enjoy Modern Marvels, How Its Made, and similar shows.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'll second that. I watch a few hours of network TV each week (reality shows and DH not included), but more often than not, am tuned into one of the non-OTA channels. I couldn't justify the $46 a month for Satt just for the conventional networks- I'd make do with a roof antenna.
I have had this same discussion with a few of my TV-snob relatives that won't even have a set in the house.
-- aem sends...
wrote in message

==================================================== "aem sends".... ! Haven't seen that used that way in many a year. That tells me you are a "Telecommunicator" of the old school; either government or military.
Having at least one TV around the house was always good; for emergency purposes if nothing else. I suppose that purpose fades with the disappearance of local broadcasting. Of course broadcast radio remains (if they could stop their commercials long enough to send word out that NuclearWar had just begun in Wash., D.C., NYC and LA !!)
McDave ===========================

If a nuclear war were to begin, I don't think NYC or Los Angeles would be on the list....unless you meant Louisiana?
wrote in message

If a nuclear war were to begin, I don't think NYC or Los Angeles would be on the list....unless you meant Louisiana? ==================================================== Why do you think they would not be on the list???
DaddyDave sends . . . . . . . .

Because of Barksdale Air Force Base.
wrote in message

Because of Barksdale Air Force Base. ========================================================I assume you mean that Barksdale would be of far higher priority above LA and/or NYC??
D.DaddyDave sends . . .
wrote in message> Because of Barksdale Air Force Base.

Correct. Take out the biggest military threats first. ==================================================== I suppose you are correct. NYC and the SanFran and the L.A. would likely be the last on their list since our enemies have so many friends there.
McDave sends . . . . =============

lol. Now that is a fine play on words.
wrote in message

======================================================= Yes. Those are about the only channels I watch; or I'll watch CSPAN if I just happen to catch them in a live committee-hearning situation on a subject that interests me. I missed that Einstein show you mention. Wish I had known about it. McDave ==================================>

the national geographic channel is wonderful, air emergency, seconds to disaster, and my new favorite show fixing big things.
tonights new episode is a new engine being installed in a cruise ship, had one episode where a 747 gets disassembled to replace the pressure bulkhead, and another showing how high tension lines are serviced with the power on
if enough voters call and complain the changeover will get delayed a few years.
a major advertiser is political adds, congress needs your eyeballs on that screen, to get re elected
Too late, it has already been delayed a couple of times. Now all the expensive equipment is in place, there is pressure to get a good emergency communications system up and running and they need some of the bands this will free up to do so.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: | if enough voters call and complain the changeover will get delayed a | few years. | | a major advertiser is political adds, congress needs your eyeballs on | that screen, to get re elected

================================================ You MAY gain a bit in the spectrum. But, I don't think digital video conserves bandwidth over analog. And, I'll be happy to discuss this with anyone that knows anything about modulation methods and spectrum use. Andy???
McDave sends =========================================

Nixon.D wrote:> You MAY gain a bit in the spectrum. But, I don't think digital video

Andy replies:
A standard 6 Mhz analog channel can transmit 19.4 megabits of encoded video, Dave.
That will support 5 standard definition channels of encoded video where only one channel of analog video was provided.
In my rural area, we have several stations that are sending 3 or more channels where only one existed, and one station that is sending 5. It is captioned on the video decoder, for channel 8, as 8-1 , 8-2 , and 8-3.
High Definition video takes more space, so only one ( I think ) HD station can be sent in the 6 Mhz bandwidth.
Like yourself, I care not for High Definition. I like black and white TV and love the way my car radio sounds, so I'm not likely to be a customer for the "latest and greatest" if cosmetics are the only plus. I don't care about seeing the pimple on the nose of Barbara Streisand....
HOWEVER, I love getting several times the number of channels. I hope they don't all end up sending football games or Three Is Enough re- runs just to fill up the space, tho....
If you want to pursue some details, just google " DTV Bandwidth" and you'll get enough hits to slake your lust for a long time....
Andy in Eureka, Texas

==================================================== Andy; OK. I sort of suspected something like that was the truth of it all. Years ago I was up to speed on the bits of info. that could be passed within a given bandwidth. Seems the basic tenets of modulation have not changed, just the nature of what makes an acceptable signal...........
Car radios . . . Yep. The best, by far, audio we have around here is that we hear in our car. Outstanding.
On 12/3/2008 8:58 PM Nixon.D spake thus:

But keep in mind that we have something today that they didn't have back then: efficient compression techniques (like MPEG, etc.) that effectively increase the number of bits without requiring more bandwidth. Dunno what kind of compression HD uses, but I'm sure it uses something pretty sophisticated. (Not to mention error detection and correction, etc.)

That probably tells you how long I've been away from the nuts/bolts of the modulation/spectrum-use business. <chuckle>