787 probe puts spotlight on Arizona battery firm

After the fire, a former Securaplane employee named Michael Leon filed a cl aim for federal whistleblower protection, alleging that he was fired for ra ising security concerns about the design of the charger and discrepancies b etween assembly documents for the chargers and the finished chargers.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/21/us-boeing-securaplane-idUSBRE90J0 B320130121
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com;3024259 Wrote: > After the fire, a former Securaplane employee named Michael Leon filed a > claim for federal whistleblower protection, alleging that he was fired > for raising security concerns about the design of the charger and > discrepancies between assembly documents for the chargers and the > finished chargers.
The fire being referred to was in a Securaplane building and burned that building to the ground. It was not a fire aboard an airplane.
And that same article goes on to say:

--
nestork

Curious why this is on alt.home.repair group and not on the sci.electronics.design or sci.electronics.repair groups.
Hermetic sealing can get really important even inside a cabin.
Is the fire-prone battery assembly inside the cabin pressurized areas?

There are two batteries, both are in eqpt bays underneath, one near the nose, other below the wings. They are not part of the cabin.
On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 06:55:28 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Define "part of the cabin".
On Mar 6, 4:49 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I think the usual definition of cabin is the area used for passengers, flight attendants, rest rooms, galleys, etc.

It is my understanding that after some dramatic incidences, and follow- on lawsuits, that the cargo holds [where all the luggage is stored] is heated and pressurized.

t>

Yes, I think that's true. They do put animals in there for example. But it's still a seperate area and not part of the cabin, at least in my definition. I'd call it what you just did, ie the cargo hold, cargo bay, etc.
Robert Macy wrote:

Not always.
The pilot has a device, called the "Dead Dog Switch", that he flips if there is an animal in the cargo hold. If no animal, the airline saves fuel by not climatizing the area.
You can put this information to good use.
When the flight attendant asks you if there's anything you need, look up at her with a pained expression and a tear in your eye and say: "This airline froze my dog to death (sniff)."
You'll almost always get a free drink.

I don't believe that's true, at least in modern aircraft. The floor won't like the pressure differential. The round structure of the fuselage is the pressure vessel.

...or "help" from the TSA master-groupers.

Can't you spell? Idiot!
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/groper
On Mar 7, 10:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I believe it is pressurised but only optionally heated.

Doing some googling, I believe you are correct. So the areas where the batteries are most likely are pressurized. But it's not clear what the specific issue then is. I would think even if it's pressurized, the air systems would probably be seperate from the passenger sections. Not saying that some smoke would not make it to the passenger part, but it would seem like a really bad idea to have a system where air from the cargo holds gets sent into the rest of the plane. That would make the whole plane susceptible to anything that any of the cargo could accidentally emit.

I think on some aircraft, the hold can be accessed (in flight) from the cabin. Dunno about the 787. But the door would be fire smoke roof.
On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 07:07:58 -0800 (PST), harry

definitely requires heating. Without heat at 30,000 ft it is about 120 degrees colder than ground level
On Mar 17, 7:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

yet, surprisingly, the 'temperature' of the air molecules is hotter. just not enough of them to keep a person warm.
On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 05:34:13 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

The other common definition is inside the pressurized/heated portion of the airframe. It matters which. The fumes from anything burning in the hold will get into the cabin/cockpit.
On Mar 7, 5:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Are you sure about that? Like how do you know that the pressurization systems are common, that the air supplies are shared? The 787 in particular in Boston that had the battery fire, I didn't hear any mention of smoke showing up in the passenger cabin.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&cr=&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&q=cordless%20drill%20li-ion%20OR%20lithium%20OR%20ion&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=k704UbrWFMrqqQGZsYH4Cw&biw 66&bih`2&sei=qL04UczfNqq9yQG0hIGQBg