Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Smart TV or not
Hi, I noticed they released newer model 2D/3D 2K/4K Blue Ray DVD player with WiFi. When it is connected to dumb TV set, it performs the function of smart TV like web surfing, music or video streaming,...
11
11

(OT: The Pope and I
Though a non-Catholic, I have to take my hat off to this guy. He's actuall y daring to advocate for Jesus is alleged to have preached -- though we hav e little direct evidence aside from the 4...
12
12

Replaceing Garage door opener, need to fit current rail and chain??
Hello I have a sears crafstman garage door opener 1/3 horsepower. I guess it could be 20 yeas old, i think the motor died. The door stopped half way up. It just makes a grinding noise and doesn't move...
15
15

What oil nozzle
All these years, I've save the plastic cylinders that oil furnace nozzles come in, and I finally looked at what they say. All start with .75 80^ (degrees) but there is a lot of variety in what comes...
9
9

SQUIRREL IN ATTIC
I have a squirrel in my attic. I am considering getting a pest control company to get the animal out, but would, if possible, like to get a ballpark figure of what I may have to pay for this service...
15
15

furnace - resting on steel rail
Was over at my wife's sister's house... She has a ranch style house, with the furnace in a "closet" in the middle of the first floor. The forced air output is therefore "down" into the ductwork in the...
11
11

furnace pre-ignite - jet engine
Was over at my wife's sister's house... She has a ranch style house, with the furnace in a "closet" in the middle of the first floor. When it first starts up for heating, it sounds like a jet engine...
1
1

Intermittent (small) pooling of water under water heater...
We have an 11 year old 40-gallon gas-fired storage water heater ("State" brand). Over the summer, I intermittently noticed a (very) small amount of water pooling in a depression of the floor...
25
25

Air Conditioner Brands
I have to replace a very old through-the-wall air conditioner. Based on the room size, I need 11,000 BTUs and I want to continue to use the nearby 110 V plug as opposed to running a new 220V line....
4
4

USA snow and ice storm; gonna needing home repair
Dec 5, 2013 News folks talking about the big ice and snow storm over central and mideast USA. Massive power cuts possible. Ice, and more. Barometers are falling sharply!
19
19

Husqy or Stihl?
I am looking at the Husky 455 and 460 with a 20" bar. A very good friend says he is a lifelong Stihl fan. I have seen and like both. What are your opinions on both? I have a Husky now, and I love it....
13
13

Solder of Braze "copper" convector?
I have an old-style, convector-type, wall mounted room heater that has a small leak. It is similar to baseboard heat, but the heat is provided by the hot water that goes through the convector element....
39
39

Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?
I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+ years ol d. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an important p roject, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a...
59
59

Breaker breaker ...
OK , it's getting closer to time to start wiring on the new room and I'm shopping main panels . Right now we have a 6x6 post with a 100 amp meter base and a temp type breaker box that holds 1 single...
14
14

Practically, what is the difference between a "cut resistance" of 8, versus 9, in a Master Padlock?
A friend just called from a store to ask what's the difference (practically) between a cut resistance 8 versus 9 in a Master Padlock. Two #9s are $19, while a similar set of four #8s for $25. From a...
13
13