Subject Author Posted Replies

Misleading (Inaccurate?) Energy Report From My Utility
I received an energy report from the company that supplies natural gas and electricity to the homes and businesses in my area. I'll be giving them a call in the morning. It has my account number on it...
18
18

New Interior Paint Trick (new to me anyway)
I figured out how to deal with water stains and other stains on wallboard t hat insist on bleeding through the next paint coat when painting interior a reas. Get your heat gun or hair dryer handy....
11
11

hole size for taps
I need a chart that tells what size hole to drill when cutting threads in metal. Where would I find that ? thanks a lot herb
27
27

Heat tape on ABS drain pipe?
I have an under-sink sump in my garage with the p-trap, sump bucket and about a 1.5 feet of water in the riser above the check valve before it goes into the house. The pipes and bucket are ABS. I have...
13
13

Tree ID Forum?
Anyone know a good place to post questions about identifying trees? I know this is not the right one, but it's one of the few newsgroups where people actually hang out. It look a lot like this ficus...
5
5

air conditioner fire
About 1:16 into the video, we see the unit under a deck, with gate, and tiny access. Does anyone else but me see why this setup could be a concern? No, I'm not the installer. I'd never do this.
22
22

How to get on a mailing list
I had never heard of "Neighbor to Neighbor" before. While talking to my aunt on the phone, she discovered that I also got my hair cut at "Great Clips" She told me that a local flyer she gets in the...
14
14

You can get them to do it right
I had some work done on my heater and the tech checked the air flow. He found that one of the 2 air return ducts was smaller than it should have been. So I had a man come out to give me an estimate on...
13
13

OT How to Stop Credit Card Offers from Littering Your Mailbox
To Opt Out for Five Years: You can either call the number 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit To Opt Out Permanently: You can also start the process of permanent opt-out through However, you...
8
8

Hacked fridge
From Business Insider: Hackers broke into some home gadgets then sent 3/4 million malicious emails. Security researchers at Proofpoint have uncovered the very first wide-scale hack attack that...
9
9

How much to replace toilet seal?
OK, we've talked at length about replacing the toilet seal (wax/rubber/whatever). Now, I'm asking, how much should it cost to have it done professionally. I ask this cuz I'm responsible for my...
17
17

Chainsaw sharpener
Doing some heavy duty cutting. Need to occasionally field sharpen a blade. Are the Oregon/Dremel/et al 12 v. sharpeners worth it? Or is it just as easy to get a good eye, and do it with a few strokes...
22
22

Apartment shower temperature changing abruptly
Here's the story: Pre-war 14 story NYC apartment building Apartment on 3rd floor Shower has two knobs (hot & cold), two similar knobs below for the bath. Pl umbing in the apartment is original (this...
5
5

Toilet dirty at rim holes
Pix: I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper. Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix. What should I do next? tia Photobucket
12
12

Daisy-Chaining Light Bulbs: Wire?
Just added six naked light bulbs to the ceiling of my garage and the improvement in visibility for working is so good that I want to add three more. For the six, I threw myself on the mercy of the guy...
55
55