Subject Author Posted Replies

Twisted Floor Joists
We are looking at buying a new house and the house is in GREAT condition, except there are two floor joists that are twisted. It looks as if no support blocks between the joists were installed on...
16

#14 Romex To Light From #12/20-amp?
I've got an outlet box that is fed by #12 Romex backed by a 20-amp breaker. If I were to tap that box to feed a ceiling light, would #14 wire be code-legal for box-to-ceiling-light? If I were to pick...
27
27

surge protection on washer??
Can a surge protector such as this be used on a modern clothes washing machine to protect the washer electronics? Also, the unit offers two levels of protection: what level offers more protection:...
64
64

OT need step by step on this alternator/pulley/belt replacement
This is a 1977 Mercedes 280SE belt, alternator, & pulley need replacing. everything is behind 2 other belts, so... any step by step instructions [maybe with photos], no video, just pics somewhere on...
35
35

Windows, not the PC type
I'm in need to home windows and thus far had three quotes, two for Marvin Integrity line and one for Pella Impervia line. They are both more on the expensive side but I feel secure knowing I will have...
6
6

Power Cord Warning
(Preface) This morning I decided to do a little woodworking in my garage th at is attached to the house but only connected to the house on one side wal l. At -6F outside and 32.5F in the garage this...
21
21

single gang boxes
I recently wall mounted our bedroom TV. Naturally, that left both the AC cord and data cable hanging down the wall. That was totally unacceptable so I put a new box up high behind the TV, put the...
9
9

Walk-in-tub
I am looking for information on the pros and cons of getting a walk in tub. I have 3 Companies coming by next week and I need to know what to look for and what questions to ask. I know that they take...
19
19

Irritating bad smell from kitchen disposal
My kitchen disposal is giving off this bad musty odor. And it's murder on my sinuses. Every time I go near that thing, my nose stuffs up. I know the odor is coming out of there, because if I cover the...
19
19

Home insulation failure
I thought my bedroom felt a bit colder than the rest of the house. I figured it's cause it's the farthest from the furnace, and only has one heat register. Second factor might be insulation failure. I...
7
7

Harbor Freight difficult choice
I can get another battery for my impact driver for $14.99 Or, I can get a cordless drill with a charger and battery for 16.99 So, dear Miss Manners, which is the better deal?
24
24

Cant remove ceiling fan canopy
Want to replace a ceiling fan which has a remote control. I unscrewed the three (on this model, there are only three) screws at the top of the canopy. It twists an inch to each side, but won't come...
27
27

OT: Get cable w/o cable? (long)
OK, weird question. Read on: I just got rid of Verizon cable partly because it was getting more expensiv e every year and partly because I watch maybe 10 channels out of the 500+ ( ?)channels of...
17
17

OT: invisibly interned or enslaved
Tea-bagger Rand Paul (on a Fox News broadcast) recently equated the sorry state of affairs for the water-carriers of Tea Party ideas (with the majority-based government, including its elected Chief...
2
2

Urinal Drain Capacity
Am I correct in assuming that the drain of a urinal equipped with a Sloan "sensor activated Flushometer" valve should be able to accept that valve failing in the open position and handle the full...
14
14