Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: In my twilight years
In My Twilight Years As I enjoy my twilight years, I am often struck by the inevitability that the party must end. There will be a clear, cold morning whenthere isn't any "more. No more hugs, no more...
46
46

For a good laugh, check out the Nest thermostat....
I first heard about this a couple years ago and the whole concept sounded a bit dubious. Apparently the guy responsible for the Ipod design at Apple started a company to make a thermostat. It's a...
17
17

OT - What to do with 15 gallons of shredded paper?
I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record accumulation which h ad to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I...
23
23

OT Dialect Quiz
Found on another group: URL leads to a New York Times article featuring a quiz to determine where one lives or grew up. It worked for me and the other three or four commenters on the other group.
15
15

OT "Gift cards cannot be used to buy gift cards".
OT, I think this is something we discussed here once. I noticed two handmade signs at the customer service desk, a big one and a little one. "Gift cards cannot be used to buy gift cards". I haven't...
2
2

Toilet level and dark trails
Well, another new fun future project to look forward to - just happened today. Any ideas what could be causing this? The water level in the bowl has always been constant and has not been leaving any...

For Those That Leave A Faucet Dripping In The Cold
Something tells me this store owner didn't quite get the concept... TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
3
3

Indoor antenna WHFand UHF ?
Got rid of cable and looking for INDOOR antenna. Neighbor got one from Best Buy, about $50, looks like fishbones? gets great reception in her window. I went on-line & quickly overwhelmed by choices &...
8
8

sharkbites are in short supply
apparently stocks have been wiped out in the pittsburgh area, heat tapes too are sold out. these severe low temps are bcreating real troubles
2
2

Will decomposed granite hold up to wheeled garbage can traffic?
I would like to put in a path over to the side of our house where we keep t he garbage cans. I like the look of decomposed granite, but I'm afraid that the weight of the cans (sometimes as much as 75...
28
28

Did you build a prototype remote solar vpn server of $150USD spare parts in garage at home?
For fun & profit, I will like to design a cheap "droppable" VPN server that will be placed a mile or so away from a a known wifi hotspot, where the portable device would serve as a portable vpn server...
18
18

Have Waxless Toilet Rings Changed/Improved?
I just watched an episode of Disaster DIY with host Bryan Baeumler. When he was installing a toilet, he used a wax ring with the flange that goes into the drain pipe. As he was installing the ring, he...
1
1

(OT) Global Warming or Global Freezing? We're doomed either way.
We've all been warned about global warming. The thought of burning up in the hot sun didn't sound like any fun, but I'd rather burn up than freeze to death. The way it looks, there is a good chance we...
1
1

Replacing thermostat in GE electric dryer
Hello all! I recently diagnosed and replaced a thermostat in a relative's GE electric dryer, model DBXR463ED2WW . The "control inlet" thermostat, GE part number WE4M181, had gone out of calibration....

End Of Run Switch To New Outlet
How do I do this? I have done some wiring work (safely). My thought was to disconnect the hot wire from the switch and run it to the outlet with the new wire (black conductor of course), then run the...
41
41