Subject Author Posted Replies

OT. Another "black box"
Thieves have some gizmo that disables car alarms and unlocks the doors. From CBS Chicago: A mysterious device is being used by criminals to easily break into locked cars across the country, including...
15
15

They put the "Fright" in Harbor Fright.
I got a Harbor Freight acetylene torch kit a while ago and I used it once, then out it back in the black plastic case and put it away. Jump ahead a year, I needed to braze up some pipe so I got it out...
11
11

Home heat savings?
If I put a box over the heat vent in the kitchen and over the living room, might not heat those rooms as much. Save a buck on energy? Anyone tried this? Gonna be below zero tonight, and windy. My heat...
42
42

OT, Sad News, Tim Wilson R.I.P.
Anyone who liked Tim Wilson and his offbeat humor/music will miss him. He was only 52 and passed away due to a heart attack. o_O TDD
2
2

Chest freezer in garage or basement?
We are contemplating buying a high-eff. chest freezer, about 18 c.f. It would be a lot handier to have in our attached garage, but I have no idea how an unheated garage will affect...
30
30

OT Leave it to Beaver trophies
It seems that most of you here are old enough, like I am, to have watched Leave it to Beaver when first broadcast. But regardless of your age, there is a corner of the den, in their new house I think,...
13
13

Follow-up on Nobel Prises and taxation
Follow-up on Nobel Prises and taxation I did some checking and I gave the rules correctly as of 1974, when last I had a course in law. I am not a lawyer. Nobel Prizes, Pulitzer Prizes and many smaller...
3
3

OT Chicken Wings
Someone on tv claimed, in the course of an segment about some recipe for chicken and a restaurant that sells it, that people (not restaurants) used to throw chicken wings away. Did you, or your...
8
8

reasons Not to carry Gas Can in vehichle?
I've had my low fuel light come on more often recently, because of changed driving habits. Are there any [good] reasons Not to carry a gas can in the trunk, all the time? marc
64
64

Attic ceiling insulation
I have a large, unfinished attice, with ceiling height of ~ 10 feet at the peak. Currently there is no insulation on the roof or side walls. In the summer it is extremely hot, refrigerator like during...
25
25

Concrete countertops
Has anyone ever made these themselves and how did they turn out? I am in need of new vanity tops in the bathrooms and say lowes sells concrete mix specifically for countertops and it got me thinking.
4
4

Drone Paparazzis
Drone Paparazzis It would be cool to see dozens of drones following celebrities and politicians.

Thermally protected outlets
Does anyone have any working experience with thermally protected outlets like these: The information seems a little off: I own several AFCI's in standard outlet form, so . . .
19
19

Is a UL listing mandatory for specialized electrical equipment?
Specifically an X-10 coupler/repeater that's mounted next to the circuit panel in an ABS enclosure and connected to both phases via a tandem breaker. Will my AHJ freak out because it's not UL listed?...
40
40

Was my house vibrating, or was it me?
After a 16-hour drive from Jacksonville, Florida, to central N.J., I fired up my computer. While sitting at it, I sensed a vibration in the floor of my slab home. Turned off the heating system, but...
22
22