75 degree C - Wiring requirement

Not all fixtures, but many. I'm really not sure if the fixtures are different, or if they just made the requirements more strict now.

If you have access above the room, it would be pretty easy to fix -- just add a new junction box in the attic, run the old wire to it, then run a new wire (75 degree) from there to the fixture.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I just started to install a new Bathroom ceiling light fixture when I read a caution sticker that reads: "Min 75 degrees C supply conductors. CAUTION: Risk of Fire. Most Dwellings built before 1985 have supply wire rated 60 degrees C. Consult a qualified Electrician before installing."

My house was built in 1982 so I'm guessing the wiring is rated for 60 degrees. How can I check this? Do all new lighting fixtures have this rating requirement?

thanks for an answer.

Reply to
Magnum

According to Magnum :

Most plastic insulation residential wire has a temperature rating stamped on it. Examine the wire for this circuit and see if you can find the stamp.

Reply to
Chris Lewis