Subject Author Posted Replies

My sump pump stopped working
I noticed my sump filling up after heavy rains but the pump wouldn't come on. It's getting power but it's not pumping. What should I do to troubleshoot it?
12
12

Hollow core doors
I want to replace my deteriorated side door, which is an odd size - 24". I looked in Home Despot at a 30" example. I would have to special order my door. On-line, I found this description of "hollow...
21
21

"-AC" message on Honeywell chronotherm III
Hello, I have an issue my heat and my air conditioning aren't coming on and I have a Honeywell Chronotherm III. The message on the screen keeps showing "-AC" and the word temporary. What does this...
3
3

LED Bulbs Questions
Hello, Trying to learn about all these new replacement bulb, but sure is confusing. a. Are all brands, styles, etc. of the new LED bulbs dimmable (assuming you have the right Dimmer switch) ? b. If...
16
16

Squangle
I found an old Squangle in my workshop but don't know how to use it. Would appreciate info on where to find instructions. It a measuring tool that can be used as a Square Rafter square Protractor...

Canada not about to break up
Today, Monday, April 7th, an election was held in the Province of Quebec to elect a new government. For the past 18 months, a political party called the "Parti Quebecois" (or "Quebec Party") has...
9
9

Type of concrete/cement for 1/4" thick fills
The rundown: Old building, Bathroom fixtures mounted to plywood and tile cut around their footprints (why? I have no idea). I will be replacing fixtures, but mounting on top of tile this time, so I'll...
9
9

Regarding alkaline batteries (AA and AAA) - capacity is a function of weight?
I'm seeing more and more stores selling huge packages (24/32/48) packs of AA and AAA batteries, and usually not a name brand like duracell or energizer. So it's a crap shoot knowing how many milli-amp...
8
8

"Sealed" Bearings: Lubing?
Quotes because I don't know enough to say that these bearings are truly sealed... but they have the rubbery rings around them. viz: These are a couple of PTO quick-release adapters that had finally...
9
9

Replace water line from street to house -- PEX or copper?
Our water line from the township's shutoff to the house* is polyethylene and has sprung a leak. The quote to replace it with PEX is $1475; copper would be about $500 more. The plumber said PEX should...
37
37

Construction Crane Question
There's a construction project going on next to my office. They recently used a big yellow moveable crane to construct a fixed tower crane, picture at What's the advantage of the fixed tower crane...
2
2

OT, We Had 5-8 Inches Of Rain Last Night
The rain was hammering the house all last night and now many areas are flooded with some roads closed. As luck would have it, we've had a new roof put on the house in the last few years and got some...
46
46

OT: Old laptop to get Internet on TV
I'm trying to score a cheap or free old laptop so I can watch Internet programs on TV. (I gave up cable; too expensive and too few channels that interest me. I tried OTA with an internal antenna & got...
53
53

Did the parking brake break?
A FedEx driver has a bad day:
20
20

Old Threads
Which tube should I replace, in my black and white TV? How can I get a new needle for my phonograph? How can I clean the heads on my eight track player? What can I use, to clean the nib on my quill...
53
53