Subject Author Posted Replies

Generator Cord Sizing 100' Run: Stay With 10-Gauge?
Been using a 10-gauge cord to connect my little 2kw gennie in the garden shed to the transfer switch in the garage. No problems in maybe 20 hours total usage and the numbers look right per which says...
25
25

Brass Bathroom Fixtures
I own a 100+ year old house, where I am now updating a bathroom.. I have several, solid brass fixtures, that I have significantly improved the appearance via hard scrubbing with Brasso etc. I am...
4
4

Phosphate remover (pool owners)
I'm finally down to my last dose of Oneida PR-10000. I looked online and it's predictably more $$. I remember some guy was saying he was looking for a cheaper phosphate remover. Any luck? 10k...

Putting vinyl over existing floor
I have a linoleum floor that is probably 25 years old. I've chosen a vinyl tile to replace it and have three estimates from reputable flooring stores. Two of them say the Lino needs to be pulled up...
26
26

heat cycle
I got some chocolate ice cream on the roof of my refrigerator's freezer, and I want to wipe it off during the heat cycle, but how do I know when the heat cycle is? Yes, I know I could just use some...
4
4

stuffing a refrigerator
I keep reading that you should use things like water bottles and crumpled newspapers to take up space so less air flows in when you open a refrigerator door. I calculate that if you changed the air in...
12
12

central air or heat pump
I currently have a central air condition / gas furnace combination unit tha t is 15 years old. The a coil for the AC has major leaks and cannot be repa ired. Should I replace just the A coil and still...
7
7

Painting concrete?
I just had repair the landing of my patio steps. That left the bottom 2 as is, they did not need repair. After the job was done and we had some big r ain storms, I noticed the new concrete sort of...
6
6

Getting a bigger sump pump
To AHR, copies to friends Maybe I need a bigger sump pump, so at the Ace Hardware, I looked at the boxes. If I get a Wayne pump, I can get a 1/3 HP that pumps 3800 GPH, or a 1/2 HP " " 4200 GPH, or a...
22
22

Granite or marble? The answer
Some weeks back I asked about using granite or marble for a bathroom windowsill. I checked out a few places and found a nice piece of marble and that will be what goes in. It is cut to 10.75 x 54....
2
2

Tub and tub walls
Replacing a porcelain steel tub and the ceramic and walls, which are 30+ years old. Undecided on a product from American Standard, which is a material called Americast with porcelain over it, or an...
6
6

Launching a Smart Home Gas Detector, Suggestions Needed
Hi Everyone, As we all know, natural gas leaks can be incredibly dangerous, and our team wants to do something to help prevent natural gas tragedies. I am creating a home-use smart gas and carbon...
14
14

Low's Installation Services and Bogus Add-Ons
Went to the Union City Lowes to buy a door after the Sunnyvale Lowe's store searched the on-line inventory and said that this was one of the only area stores with the door in stock. Very helpful and...
9
9

Roaches
After using roach bait and boric acid and roach bombs I called in an exterminator. I picked a guy that does not require a contract. It turns out that has been a big mistake. He has been coming once a...
18
18

Lack of cold water plaguing northwest subdivision...
"Cold" water cruises in the 80s in SW Florida all summer. Where is the surprise? Vegas is a lot hotter than here.
20
20