#7 screw?

I have a wall fixture that's held up with two machine screws. I'm changing the way it's mounted and need shorter screws. But the screws are smaller than a #8/32 and bigger than a #6/32. I even tried metric and couldn't find a match. What size might this be?

It seems to me that a lot of fixtures come with screws just as you describe, like a sloppy 8\32. Why not cut the ones you have

Put a nut on it before you cut it. Debur the cut edge on an angle. Remove the nut to clean up thread.
Christopher Nelson wrote:

You could use a Klein triple tap tool to cut 8/32 threads into the holes and use any length 8/32 screws you want. The tool isn't that expensive and you would find it to be one of the most useful tools in your collection. Besides most wire strippers have threaded holes in them for cutting standard screws without deforming the threads.
http://tinyurl.com/ye86tml
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I have a Klein 627-20, it's a six in one tap tool. Bought that probably 25 years ago and it sure has come in handy. What is amazing is that Klein still sells replacement taps for both of ours. Nothing like a great tool and a great tool company.
http://www.acetoolonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Searchb7-20
Tony wrote:

I've been carrying the same six in one Klein in my tool bag for at least 25 years. I may have replaced one broken tap in that time. On of my new (in the last decade) favorites is a set of drill point taps from Greenlee.
http://tinyurl.com/yk44gdb
TDD

*I see this often. I call them the Chinese 8/32. I have had success retapping the holes and using real 8/32 screws. You could also try cutting the screws that you have.

LOL, Chinese 8/32, yes exactly what it is.
On 2/16/2010 10:27 PM, Christopher Nelson wrote:

Its big box #8/32. The easiest thing to do is run a tap in the hole and make it a standard #8/32 thread.
Christopher Nelson wrote:

As someone else said, cut the ones you've got to length.
There's a set of threaded holes in the pair of wire strippers for precisely that purpose...
Christopher Nelson wrote:

Are you sure it's not m4 x .7? An 8-32 would be a little too big for the hole, and the threads would be a little too coarse.

As others have suggested you can upsize the screw to 8X32 or take the screw into the hardware store and ask to use there pitch gauge. These are little metal plates that have vee notches in them that you can measure the thread pitch.
In standard threads the pitch is measured in the number of threads per inch. In metric threads the pitch is measured by the distance from thread to thread in millimeters.
Once you have that measurement you then measure the major diameter and figure out the size of the screw.
Another option to consider is just to get some self tapping 8X32 screws and let them cut their own threads.
--

Roger Shoaf

Chris-
As many have suggested ...cut the screws with the threaded hole "screw cutters) that are present on most good pair of wire strippers.
Also as many have suggested..... "chinese 8-32"
A proper 8-32 is about .163" to .157" od
a 4mm screw is about .157" to .151" od but the standard thread pitch (mod) is .7mm per thread which is about 36.3 tpi
so I'm guessing that the Chinese mfr just uses the 4mm cold headed blank and tweaks the threading machine to do 32 tpi instead of 36.3.
The result is "close enough"........ a screw that threads into a standard 8-32 hole but is rather sloppy being about .005" to .010" undersized. :(
cheers Bob