6x6 floor tiles on wall

Hi folks, I am considering a particular tile for my shower walls. It is actually a 6x6 floor tile. It says it is porcelain ceramic tile. Pretty thick and heavy. I plan to use thinset, maybe latex modified. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions? It is going on over 1/2" durock. It will not be on the ceiling, only on the walls. Thank you. Doug

go for it. build from the bottom since the tiles will want to sag. you'll have to put in some kind of spacers to prevent the grout lines from moving. yes, use the modified thinset.
kilerbbb writes:

Sure. Harder and stronger than any "wall tile". Thinset with acrylic fortifier, yes, survives years of swimming pool immersion.
But how do one make holes in the stuff like to go around a pipe? I bought one of those expensive blades for my sabre saw that was supposed to saw tile. It went 1/4" before all the teeth were wore off.

jhill writes:

Diamond wet saw that you need for straight cuts anyway, will approximate curves by notching. If you really need perfect round holes, or closed holes, then you need a diamond drill or hole cutter and a drill press.
"Wet" is key. Even diamond blades wear out quickly without it. A wet blade will cut for miles and miles.
On 30 Jun 2004 05:50:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (kilerbbb) wrote:

No problem using floor tile on walls, but not t'other way.
Make certain the thinset you use is rated for porcelain tile; the cheaper grades are not. It is not enough to just use any latex-modified thinset. Thinset doesn't stick as well to porcelain as to standard tile, and so a grade with more and better latex modifiers is required. And for a shower, use the best grout you can get and with an anti-mildew additive. Remember to use silicon caulk for the corners, not grout, which can be a problem if you are using other than white, black, or grey grout. Finally, remember to use building paper or other waterproof membrane behind the durock. The paper should lap over the edge of the shower base if you are using one.
HTH,
Paul

Our whole 4X4' walkin shower is 13" porcelain tile, ceiling included (plus some 4"x4" travertine accent tiles) A PRO installed it for us..came out great.

Go for it.
NEVER FORGET!!! http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0109/missing/files/toyen.amy.html