Subject Author Posted Replies

blade brake in mower clutch
A few days ago while chopping leaves with my riding mower, I heard a bit of a whine above the sound of the motor and blades. The bearings on the belt-tension pulley had failed, and the whole assembly...
4
4

Hot water bottle sealant
I've now got 3 hot water bottles from CVS. They last a few weeks and then start leaking. I cut open the tops and discovered that it uses a clear plastic threaded insert. The bag is some kind of...
31
31

Floor Day Nov 29, Sat, 2014
Today is scheduled for ripping out a section of rotted floor in the hallway of my trailer. It's going to be in the forties out there, hope myself and two helpers can get the job done promptly, and not...
13
13

aprilaire 600
how do i know my humidifier is working
32
32

Gasoline prices? OT (2023 Update)
Just curious what gasoline prices are around the country. In SE Iowa the price for the most common grade (ethanol, 10% I think) is currently $2.609.
22
22

scratchy mower clutch
My riding mower is more than 10 years old. I've had it a year. Today, I replaced the back idler pulley on the deck: bad bearings. After installing the belt, I pulled to to see if the belt and the 4...
4
4

OT How long can an outboard motor run outside of the wate
How long can an outboard motor run outside of the water before it damages the engine? For those who are answering, have you ever had a boat with an outboard motor? The one in question is a trimaran,...
16
16

OT they won't save you money
From the Kid's Page in the newspaper, an article about small dogs. "... and they won't save you money on food costs because they tend to live longer than larger dogs, experts say."
1
1

Backup for Well Water During Power Outages
We had a couple of major power outages this year and ran out of water, so it has renewed my interest in finding a backup when the power goes out. We live in Washington state and everything here is...
117
117

Disconnecting a gas dryer
I have to disconnect our gas dryer for a few days and move it out of the room it in because we are having a new floor put down in the laundry room. I see that the pipe leading to the flex pipe has a...
20
20

OT: While we're at it, how about his police shooting?
The shooting a few days ago of a 12 year old black kid in Cleveland is getting a lot less attention than the Ferguson incident. This is the compete surveillance video. If you just watch the first...
82
82

OT - medical problems
A bit off topic for home repair, but the folks on this list do discuss concerns now and again. Pants that fall down, etc. Yesterday, thanksgiving. My phone rang, and it's David, a man I've met a...

half my power gone - sizzle
Where was the sizzle? You having steak for dinner? I expected to read that your furnace, TV, something got sizzled. Oh, well....
2
2

Walmart's "Running of the Low Lifes"
Yes, it's the annual Black Friday stampede of low lifes at a store near you. https://junglejoys.com Jungle Joys | One of A Kind Animal Print Clothes And Shoes Walmart Worker Dies Black Friday Fight...
15
15

Help with VCR remote (Victor model PQ10956)
I've got the subject remote control that came with a JVC HR-D720U VCR. The VCR is long gone, as well as the user's manual. However, I found the remote and would like to program it to use as a remote...
10
10