Subject Author Posted Replies

Smoke alarms
Suggestions for battery operated smoke alarms. I currently have alarms with a built in light, tho I doubt the light would do any good in a real fire. My current smoke alarms have 2-9v each. I see some...
4
4

Electric Panel Question - two v one panels
My house originally had electric as follows... Main supply wires come out of the ground, go thru the electric meter and into a main breaker panel on the outside of the house that has a single large...
87
87

Sliding door update
A couple of weeks ago I asked about sliding patio doors. We looked at a few and decided on Marvin. Seems well made and should outlast me. We did look at Pella,but decided against them. I did not like...
2
2

Gluing cover back on torpedo CFL
I have a torpedo CFL like this one in a yard lamp fixture. Under that plastic cover is a standard twisty CFL like these. The plastic cover has come loose from the base. The residual adhesive they used...
4
4

Question on 6 family apt building electric panels
I own a 6 family apartment building in Brooklyn, and the electric was upgra ded back in 2000. I noticed on these panels in the basement, the feed coming straight from th e meter to the panel, there is...
12
12

OT - multiple redundancies
I think I noticed another redundancy. I had typed "after you IM messaged me". Is IM messaging, like your insurance company needs your vehicle's VIN number? And if the tires are inflated in pounds PSI?...
2
2

Teflon Pipe Thread Tape
I have a bunch of white Teflon pipe thread tape. I wanted some thicker tape and the only thing I could find at the store was the usual thin white stuff for water lines and some thicker stuff that was...
13
13

Oil Fired Boiler Problems
I have an oil fired boiler for heat with old fashioned 1930's-style hot wat er radiators. The furnace started turning off every week or so and I called our oil company repair people. The guy came out...
6
6

OT - I can't be the only one...
Nestor speaks from experience.
21
21

What's in the spending bill? We skim it so you don't hav e to--Light Bulbs!!!!!
LIGHT BULBS: The bill once again prohibits new standards that would ban the use of cheaper, less energy efficient incandescent bulbs. The proposal was first introduced and set in motion by the Bush...

PEX pipe diameter
I worked as a plumber in the 80's, and back then, plumbing was mostly copper or the older galvanized steel. PVC was being used for drainage, and CPVC was available but not legal in some places. PEX...
4
4

Advice about 2nd VoIP Number
Next week I'm hooking up Time Warner cable internet plus one VoIP phone, so that part's all set. I have a 2nd land line that I need to convert to VoIP and keep the same number. For 2nd line, TWC...
6
6

Trouble lights NEED Incandescent bulbs
Over the many years I have used trouble lights, I have ruined many incandescent bulbs by dropping the light. And those trouble lights are prone to falling due to poorly designed hooks. I thought using...
17
17

Car Battery voltage gone Crazy
My Chevy pickup truck was getting hard to start on cold days. I took it to a service garage and had the guy put a battery tester on it. The results showed it to be borderline between Fair and Good....
19
19

How do you 'unstick' a seized Garbage Disposal Unit?
Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen. Badger 1-83A with a power cord. The kitchen sink was not used very often, and the disposal not run for a while, suspect rusted 'solid'...
37
37