Subject Author Posted Replies

Lumber Liquidators laminate flooring
Anyone watch 60 Minutes tonight? They has a segment about the laminate flooring that Lumber Liquidators is having made at three plants in China. It can be made 10% to 15% cheaper if you put in...
44
44

What kind of Owl was in my barn?
There was a small owl on my barn a few nights ago. It was very cold outdoors, so I guess it came in to warm up. It was sitting on a wall mounted hay feeder, and did not seem concerned that I was near...
6
6

Gas drier problem
I recently posted here that with the exception of my washing machine all appliances in the house are less than five years old. My wife then informed me that our drier is well over ten. That of course...
1
1

Natural gas smell in water (from water heater) HELP !
What part of the country do you live in? Have you checked to see if there is any fracking taking place within 50 miles of your location?
14
14

Fireplaces and Chimneys
For those who may be interested here's free a book with a lot of detail about the safe design and building of fireplaces and chimneys. The title indicates 1889, but if you look at the diagrams and...
4
4

120V Radiant Floor-Warming Mat in a crawlspace
I've got a moisture problem in a large crawl space area. There is efflorescence on the soil and nearby concrete foundation. It is a well ventilated space, but the ground just has a lot of water....
9
9

Flickering display is all i get
My system has been installed for many = 10+ years. Recently it has failed to turn on in any mode. When prompting any of three valves in the system all that happens is that I get a series of flashing...
7
7

( OT for home repair ) Leonard Nimoy dead at 83
Lived long, and prospered. Read full article on web. February 27, 2015, 12:48 PM Leonard Nimoy dead at 83 Leonard Nimoy, probably best known as Mr. Spock on "Star Trek," has died. He was 83. The actor...
2
2

insulated drapes
Do you need drapes anyhow? My drapes are white on the window side, to cut down absorption of heat in the summer and radiation of heat in the winter. I suppose the same people who don't bellieve light...
10
10

Computer Printer help
I just got a new black (61XL) cartridge for my HP 3510 all-in-one , after an hour on the line with HP support it still pops an "incompatible cartridge" message and locks up ... anybody know a...
10
10

Follow up to my new furnace
Now that it's been in here about a month, the outfit that installed it returned here at no charge just to check and ensure all was OK. With my old furnace I had adjusted all vents myself but when they...
4
4

Electrical wiring problems
Opening the window works a whole lot better than any but the best fan, and unlike the crappy fans, it ALWAYS works.
18
18

sealing around ducts, through foundation wall?
Old house. Part basement, part crawlspace. There are heat and cold air boxes in the floor over the crawlspace. The (round) ducts for these pass through (very) rough openings knocked through the...
8
8

trouble light - complete enclosure verses grill
Does anyone know if a trouble light is sold that seals up completely. Stan dard trouble lights close up in front with a grill. I'm looking for someth ing like a plexiglass shield instead. With cfl's...
3
3

Heading over to Ace Hardware
need me to pick up anything ? Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!