600 C-9 light bulbs

I have used a very simple dimmer that was just a diode (half-wave rectifier). This sort of thing allows to you get twice as many bulbs on the same circuit (connect half to positive, half to negative. They're never on at the same time).

Of course you'd need a diode that can handle that current.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Severe overkill. You may never find one that uses over 7.5W.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Hmmm, As of this year I switched to LED 100%. Older bulbs are all retired. Nicer sparkling colors and WAY, WAY less energy consumption. When I used bulb I used flip-flop circuit to make lights scintillate(looks nicer) and lessen the power usage.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This year I had a lot of LED lights (with pictures online at

, click to see a fullsize picture), with more expected next year. There's still a few things I don't have LED versions of, like the lighted, animated deer.

Yes. The colors shouldn't fade in 2-3 years like the incandescents do.

I haven't gotten to 100% LED yet, but do expect to use less than half as much electricity as last year (when I had very few LED strings).

My setup is similar, with 2 out-of-phase flashing circuits, so one (and only one) is on at a time (except the particular time I changed the wires to take pictures). I do have a fancier flash, using an old computer to flash them according to Morse code.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd