6 yo lennox leaking freon

Page 2 of 2

As a followup, I went down stairs and traced the line coming out of the furnace back to the compressor and I notice some oily residue about two feet in under a finished room. I also noticed that the clip holding the line to the floor joists rusty. Would a leak of that size leave an oily residue?
thanks for everyone's help btw. Muffy

yes
Refrigerant is mixed with lubricating oil. So, very often there is an oil spot where the leak is.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Yes.. You have more ability than the idiots they sent out. It would be fair to pay for the repair of the leak, but you should not have to pay for a re-charge because of the incompetence of the first tech. They should have followed the lines and found the leak the first time. The second charge should be on them. If they refuse, take them to small claims court and point out their lack of skills and ability that caused the second loss.
Muffy Links wrote:

There is such things as Freeon sniffer or leaking indicating dye.
Many techs can find leaks with beepers. Some dye can be mixed in with the lubricating oil. And then detected with eye sight, or ultraviolet light. If the system is under pressure, some folks use soapy bubbles.
I would tend to avoid technicians who use tarot cards, dead chickens, or salt shakers.
In my case, I've not tried dyes. However, I've had considerable luck with leak beeper, and soap bubbles.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

No shit!
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Hells Bells folks! There should be a severe lack of oxygen all around that area. I think you lads had best check to see if the neighborhood kids are freon whoofers. ;-p I went through that shit a few years back with a customer.

Don Ocean wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

To keep Tony Hunglow away from it!
On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:58:00 -0500, Muffy Links wrote:

You just need to find someone competent.