6 yo lennox leaking freon

Page 1 of 2
Had a new lennox high eff ac installed 6 years ago. Had it serviced this year to clean the A coil. Week later the unit is out of freon. Called themback and said it was most likely the A coil leaking although he could not find the leak. Finally got a hold of the orig installer (diff co) and he came over and pump it up at n/c 9 pounds of freon and a day and half later the compressor shuts off due to low pressure (out of freon again). Both techs cannot find the leak.
Leaking that fast should'nt it be easy to find the leak? Far fetched ?, but could it leak on the pipe run from the compressor to the a coil somewhere due to a crazy vibration that wore a hole in the line?
2nd tech says he soaped the a coil and used his leak detector and could not find it leaking on the a coil.
What should I ask the tech to do to find the leak? Whats the proper procedure?
thanks.
Mango
Call a different company, 9 lbs in two days is a pretty good leak. Could be leaking in the line set.

They didn't check the hi-side line/connections for a leak?

He did this right after adding 9 lbs?

I guess you could call back, ask for their most experienced (certified) tech. Might wanna stop by the shop, talk to the svc. mngr. firsthand, see if -he- looks competent.
They rarely check everywhere. I had a nasty leak back in '94, nobody could find it. Finally a friend found the leak in the condensing coil: my male dog had been sneaking around, pissing on it (presumably) for about 10 years. Had to replace the coil. I now have only female dawgs. :-)
Good Luck, Puddin'
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller
Might want to check the access fittings where he put the gages. Sometimes those leak.
Couple days to lose a charge? That's a serious big leak.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Funny you should mention that. My 1.5 year old Lennox is leaking there as we speak. The parts were ordered from Texas last week (still under warranty) but in the meanwhile I'm sweating.
It was leaking from around the schrader valves where they hook up the gauges. You'd think they could just swap out valves but apparently they intend to swap out the entire valve block.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

we
but
gauges.
swap
Sounds as if they're as competent at Chris.
While the parts are on order, why didn't they screw the caps on tight?

just replace the schraders...nahhhh....makes too much sense and its too easy.
Noon-Air wrote:

I have these great ideas at work but get pooh poohed by the ignoramouses with the master's degrees all the time. What could I know about nursing? I've only been at the bedside for 15 years... every bit of it in a hospital setting.
Anyway, we get stupid policies from on high all the time. What can you do?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

with
only
do?
Start your own clinic.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

He did but he declined to refill the system while he was waiting to see what the landlord would do. I think he thought the landlord would balk at paying the exhorbitant price he said he thought it would cost. As it turned out, it was a warranty item. But in the meanwhile, I sit and sweat. With any luck the parts will be here tomorrow.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

gauges.
what the

the
was a

parts
Yeah, it's to bad he doesn't stock the shrader valves on his service truck.
I guess he doesn't own the tools to change them without loosing the charge either.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Mort. go to the morgue. It's nice and cool there.
Tekkie wrote:

I don't mind the morgue. You meet the nicest people there... pleasant; never a complaint; never want me to bring them anything. And like you say, the air conditioning is first rate.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Under adult supervision!
Stormin Mormon wrote:

This compresor came complete with valve caps that are tightened with a wrench. As far as the Schrader valve goes, I'm quite familiar with them from my days working in a dive shop... I even have a tool suitable to remove or replace a standard tire sized valve core in my toolbox. What I can't do is recharge the system, so I'm at this guy's mercy.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

wrench.
days
Is that where it's leaking?
And, of course, it's hot out. So, you're right about being at his mercy. Or lack of mercy.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Mon, 28 May 2007 10:24:49 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:>Stormin Mormon wrote:

I would bet that the manufacturer won't pay local service company till they see proof that they changed your valve block.. And they want the old block back to take a look at.. Otherwise.. you could have someone filling out a bunch of warranty papers for unneeded work.. yeah.. I know we have too good of work ethic for this to happen but it's possible..
Chuck (in SC)