6-Pack 6-LED Aluminum Flashlights - Any good?

Page 1 of 2
I just bought this 6 pack of Husky LED flashlights at HD. There's 6 LED's per flashlight, and each one uses 3 AAA batteries, which were included. 6 flashlights and 18 batteries for $9.97. How could I pass it up?
I've never used an LED flashlight before and I am amazed at how bright these things are.
My question: Am I going to remain happy or is there something I don't know - something like I'm going to get about 10 minutes of battery life so I'm gonna need to carry all 6 flashlights with me.
Are these things any good?
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&langId=-1&catalogId053&productId0652625
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 13:16:00 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Kind of a silly question, dont you think? Judging from the description on the link you provided: Check out the name? "Husky"?? Probably made by kids in Tiawan. Check out the batteries? Alkaline? Nope. Try "Heavy Duty"......in other words, not alkaline so they wont last all that long. You may have to tap them on something hard once in a while to get them to work or stop them from flickering but all in all for $9.97 its not to bad. Use em and toss em. Bubba

Don't you be bad-mouthing Husky - they're The Toughest Name In Tools.
Just ask 'em -
http://www.huskytools.com/content.aspx?pid=f1f79d5c-5bc7-4dd7-a559-29235860316f
Bubba wrote:

Ah, but Northern Tool had 24 packs of AA or AAA alkaline batteries for $3.99! Hang on while I look up the brand.....
Ah, yes. Battery says "Northern Industrial (TM). Northern Tool & Equipment, Bunnsfield, MN"
Good ol' American-made!

IMPORTED and CUSTOM LABELED for Northern Industrial in China or India.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Sniff.
Me golden idol is tarnished.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&langId=-1&catalogId053&productId0652625 Probably OK but I would not expect any heavy duty type illumination. I like LED's because the LED should not fail and you get a lot more out of your batteries. Number of LED's is not an indication of how much light you would get and you want to think in terms of lumen's or candlepower. I have a 12 LED lantern that does not give enough light to read by and a single LED flashlight that is bright as any flashlight I have.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId"5285-50584-FT-NS-2C%203W&lpage=none
<snip>

I have one of these: https://www.flashlightoutlet.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct
This site has a lot of very good LED lights.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

I had a box of HF "Thunderbolt" AAA alkalines,and they leaked before I used half of them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I had some LED headlamps (for human heads) and after several months not all the little lights were working. Now I have a tiny Dorcy that uses a single AAA and I use it every night and never go off into the dark without it. It even works pretty well with a NiMh rechargable but it's quite bright with an alkaline battery and one will last me about a month of walking around here and there which would include a few trips down to the creek (600 foot walk one way). It only has one LED and I think it's brighter than the headlamps with 6 or 7 LEDS.
I also have one of those "crank" flashlights and it has a choice of one or three LEDS. It doesn't last all that long between cranks but heck, it always works when I want it to and unless my other hand is busy...
Personally I'd go with the Dorcy single LED and a hand crank light which you should be able to get both for around $12 or $13 or there abouts. Some of those crank lights are selling for around $5 or $6.

I just paid 5 $ for one light and thought that was a great deal, its 6 led, 3 batteries, its my favorite light. Put in good batteries when those burn out.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&langId=-1&catalogId053&productId0652625 I went after those but they sold out of them quick. I did buy the Husky 1AA 2 pack for $5. They are smaller and the heavy duty battery has not dimmed after 1 hour.

That reminds me of the free flashlights radio shack used to give away. They required batteries that gave RS profit far in excess of what the flashlights cost.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Gillete business model: Give away the razor and sell the blades.
In addition to the flashlights you mention, we see it today principally with cell phones.
Computer printers, too. A couple generation ago, Standard Oil gave away kerosene lamps in China, same concept.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I never tried to sharpen a razor blade, but we do buy inkjet ink by the pint from Sams Club online.
We even have one of those reservoir thingies with six hoses going to re-jiggered print cartridges. The reservoirs hold about two ounces of ink for each of six colors, so the printer never runs out.

I really hate those printer companies that put chips on the ink cartridges, to protect the customer from low prices, of course. I hate paying hundreds of times too much for the ink. Sell me the damn printer for $1000 instead of $50, but let me use ink at the real cost of ink.
I have a samsung laser printer that I picked up for a grad school program back in 2003. I've printed perhaps 10,000 pages at a cost of about $50 total, by refilling the original toner cartridge and a single replacement toner cartridge purchased at the same time. It would have cost me $800 if I'd bought new toner cartridges, and would have cost me about $2500 if I'd used inkjet cartridges. I can't believe how cheap the printer is to run, mostly because I'm not paying the insane prices printer makers would like to charge.
In a town near me, is a place that refills cartridges and sells them, refilled. I like the concept. I've tried the refil kit with the drill bit and syringe, but it didn't work for me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus