#6 NM wire in 1/2" hole?

Hi, I'm running a 6-3 Romex NM-B with ground for my new air conditioner system. My main panel doesn't seem to have any spare (unoccupied) 3/4" size punch outs left; but there is a 1/2" punch out. It is possible for me to fit this 6-3 with ground in there, but does anyone know whether this is prohibited by the NEC? All advice (and NEC references) appreciated! Regards, Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I doubt very much that this would meet Code. First of all, you can't just pass the cable through the knockout hole -- for the protection of the cable and the connections, Code requires some sort of fitting on the hole (e.g. a cable clamp aka "Romex connector") which secures the cable to the box. And I can't imagine that any fitting which would fit a 1/2" knockout is listed for use with anything as large as 6-3; for example, the Romex connectors used with 1/2" knockouts are listed for 14-2 through 10-3.

Does the panel have any vacant 1" knockouts? Or can you ream the 1/2" hole to 3/4"?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hi. The length of cable must be long, otherwise wouldn't 8-3 do? Enlarging hole is easy using rimmer, cabinet is not really heavy gauge steel.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Aside from that, does he really need #6 for an AC? Presumbably a home AC? I have a 5 ton, which I believe is the largest made and it's rated for #8. I wonder if he's sizing based on breaker, instead of sizing based on the install instructions and eqpt rating. Meaning I have a 50 amp breaker on my 8 gauge, 5 ton and it's to code because it's a motor load, not an oven.

Reply to
trader_4

Get one of these

gfretwell

I agree, I'd punch it out.

(sorry if you got an email, I hit the wrong button)

Reply to
philo

Can you get the 6-3 cable through the required cable connector, is the big question. If you can fit the 6-3 into the connector that threads into the 1/2" knockout, you are gold. If not you will need a knockout punch to enlarge the hole to 3/4" size (Greenlee punch)

Reply to
clare

Another option would be to find a smaller cable going through a concentric KO with a 3/4" ring, swap that to the 1/2" only KO and use the larger one with the concentric ring poked out..

Reply to
gfretwell

I assume you mean a reamer - which leaves all kinds of conductive swarf all through the panel. The only RIGHT way to do it is with a "knoclut punch" - aften referred to by the most common brand - a "greenlee punch" Any electrician worth his salt will have one. All you get that way is a metal ring.

Reply to
clare

That will do the job. Wouldn't want to make my living with it, but it will make a few holes, for sure. A lot cheaper than Greenlee

Reply to
clare

Tony Hwang wrote in news:bihzv.65595$ snipped-for-privacy@fx01.iad:

Conductor size is determined by amperage, not by length.

LMAO! The tool he needs is a *reamer*. A "rimmer" is something altogether different.

Reply to
Doug Miller

trader_4 wrote in news:33f37dfc-9d21-481f-9d0e-b98ec7ca68b6 @googlegroups.com:

Whether he needs AWG-6 or AWG-8 is not really relevant -- neither one is listed for use with any Romex connector or clamp that I'm aware of which will fit in a 1/2" knockout.

Another question for the OP: do you really need 6-3 (or 8-3, as the case may be) for an air conditioner? If it's central AC, it's almost surely a pure 240V load, and 2-conductor cable will do

-- and if it's a window AC, 10-3 is almost surely sufficient.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

but there is a 1/2" punch out. It is possible for me to fit this 6-3 with ground in there, but does anyone know whether this is prohibited by the NEC?

WRONG. The big question is whether the required cable connector is listed for use with 6-3 cable. If the connector is not listed for use with 6-3 cable, it's a Code violation to use it for that, whether the cable fits or not.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That must be one bad ass air conditioner. Wouldn't want your electric bill.

Reply to
Father Guido Sarducci

Wire size is PRIMARILY dictated by load, but cable length comes into play due to excessive voltage drop. You can never go wrong going one size oversized.

Reply to
clare

Well, you show me a romex connector that will take a 6/3 cable that isn't listed for use with 6/3 and you may have a point. The POINT is, there is no romex connector that WILL accept a 6/3 - listed or not..

Reply to
clare

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 22:19:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: I missed the 1/2" requirement in my last reply - this is the corrected reply.

Reply to
clare

Hi, I'm the OP. Yes, the mini split a/c system specs explicitly call for a 50amp breaker and #6 AWG (although I shudder to think that it'll actually use that much, with a 16 SEER).

I think I answered my own question by finding several "conduit fill charts" online that say 1/2" conduit can only have 2 #6 wires, so rules are there to keep me safe and I'm fine with that.

I also failed to notice one last 3/4" knock-out, so I'll be using that one. Many thanks to all the good technical solutions and suggestions! Regards, Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

OK good deal but I bet you still only need 2 current carrying conductors and a ground (10 ga)

A/C units are usually just 120v or 240v.

My guess is if they really are saying 50a and 6ga wire this is a heat pump with toaster heat backup. If you used THHN/THWN in a raceway you could use #8 (in the 75c column) for 50a with a 10g ground. That fits in a 3/4" raceway. You are going to need a wet location wiring method going to the condenser anyway. Romex won't work. Romex is limited to 60c.

Reply to
gfretwell

air conditioner system.

(unoccupied) 3/4" size punch outs left; but there is a 1/2" punch out. It is possible for me to fit this 6-3 with ground in there, but does anyone know whether this is prohibited by the NEC?

On a practical note, I'd be sure to have a Romex connector

in the punch out. Just to run the wire through the hole leaves the risk of the panel metal wearing through the insulation and causing a short.

How many tons of cooling? I remember using 10 AWG for 2 1/2 ton system one time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon