Subject Author Posted Replies

How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?
I ran a WiFi survey using "Wifi Analyzer" freeware on my Android phone in a college-dorm atmosphere earlier today (after installing Windows 10), and I think I completely understand the 2.4GHz wifi...
37
37

LED Light Bulbs now cheaper than Incandescent
I was almost shocked yesterday when I went to Walmart to buy some of those new halogen-incandescent light bulbs, to put in my outdoor porch light fixture. (CFL bulbs dont work outdoors in cold...
81
81

Chain Saw Starter Spring Update
I posed a few weeks ago that the recoil spring in my chain saw starter had unsprung and that I couldn't get it coiled again. I decided to give it one more try before taking it in for repairs, so I...

OT: Windows 10
My old computer got fried by a nearby lightning strike a few months ago so I bought a new one with Windows 10 as soon as they were available. The new system works very well, so far. It's a lot like...
34
34

first/front surface inspection mirror
I'm looking for a 1.5" to 2" first surface inspection mirror. I can find small dentist tools but nothing larger. I need it on a telescoping mount ... an "inspection" mirror. Thank you.
7
7

Lawn Care God to St. Francis
GOD to ST. FRANCIS: Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, milkweeds and stuff I started eons...
2
2

Does my UPS work?
I have 2 UPSes, both used, and one was marked Working when I bought it for $7, and the other I might have gotten for free. I can't remember. Batteries are not cheap of course. A couple webpages gave...
42
42

Stiff diverter rod
The tub/shower diverter rod has become rather stiff. Believe the unit is a Pfister based upon the unit used in another bath. I've been using vinegar to free it up which has had only limited success....
2
2

ABC of Soup Making
ABC of Soup Making Lean, juicy beef, mutton, and veal, form the basis of all good soups; therefore it is advisable to procure those pieces which afford the richest succulence, and such as are...

OT Did I miss out?
Got a call with a friendly cheerful feminine voice telling me I had been luckily chosen for a free Bermuda cruise. I immediately told her no thanks and hung up. Maybe I blew it! Perhaps the passengers...
6
6

Amana dryer: gas valve solenoids
Ralph, That makes sense. There are wires going to the second prong (blue and purple), so it appears to have use. I think I will go ahead and buy new ones ($18.00) to see if that gets the hire to heat...
19
19

Big brother?
A friend who uses ATT wireless wanted to get a new phone. She tried to shop for phones on her phone at Amazon. Nothing would happen. She tried repeatedly. When she looked at shoes or dresses,...
1
1

Roof "dry rot"?
Hi, We have a "built up" (I think that is the term for it -- technically, it has a "membrane" but I suspect it is closest to "built up"... layers of roofing felt, flat, etc.) roof. Above the back...
16
16

Eyeglass Frames Re-Soldering Question ?
Hello, Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area). They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...? Really don't know...
14
14

dirty metal bannisters
My house has steel bannisters, almost like outside railings along the stairs inside. Painted glossy black. They seem fine most of the year, but during the hot humid periods, they feel dirty and even...
9
9