568A or B?

Page 2 of 2

BTW strip the insulation at least an inch. The trick is getting the wires as flat as you can before snipping them to the correct length.

On 3/27/2010 9:32 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

?
Thats what the cut off blade on the punch down tool is for.
George wrote:

He was referring to putting the rj45 on the cable- you don't use the punchdown for that, you use the crimper.
--
aem sends...

zxcvbob wrote:

Countless web pages, probably including the manufacturer of the jacks you are using, have color-coded diagrams of which wires go in which slots for the A and B wiring patterns. I think the ones the Borg sells even have a diagram on the card, or a stack of brochures from the manufacturer. Play close attention to where it says to maintain the twist for each pair to within a half-inch of the slots.
http://www.9thtee.com/images/Config568diagrams.gif
http://movvam.com/Oth/images/rj45walljack.gif
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

Now that I look at it, that wall jack diagram seems to be for the 'a' pattern. But the pin numbers are correct, so you can just match the colors up with the pin numbers on the 'b' diagram on the first link.
(I'm lazy, and don't have a punchdown tool any more. I just use premade cables....) -- aem sends...
zxcvbob wrote:

[snip]
No wonder the wiring label didn't make any sense! I checked the jack with a continuity tester. This is what I expected: 1 8 2 7 3 6 4 5
And here is what I found (it matches the label): 2 8 1 7 6 4 3 5
1236 and 8754 would almost make sense. The way they did it has a lot of unnecessary crosses. At least now I know how to hook it up.
Bob

http://www.incentre.net/content/view/75/2 /