Subject Author Posted Replies

(OT) I cant believe it....
A TV commercial is STILL advertising a BLACK FRIDAY Sale..... That ended over 2 weeks ago.........

Nailed it
2
2

Harbor Freight tool alert
Item #69544 3pc wood chisel set. Great buy! $5.60 after your 20% coupon. Been beating on the 1" chisel for almost 3 months doing a basement demolition and remodel. 800 sq. ft. Lots of notching for...
2
2

"Upside Down" Receptacle Installation
The "up" as "on" goes way back to the days of knife switches. The powered line supply entered from the bottom, and you pushed the knife handle "up" to energize the wiring heading over to the monster's...
22
22

OT Store Christmas windows
When I was a little kid, back in the late 30s and early 40s in Chicago, my parents would take me downtown to the Loop shopping district and we'd look at all the extra-carefully elaborately decorated...
29
29

Epoxy Paint or Epoxy Coating; Do you Know the Difference?
Easier just to read the label on what you've got! :> In our case, 5G of a nice, rich *green* and another 1G (? it's been more than 40 years so I can't recall exact size -- but *much* smaller, "paint...
7
7

Some times, it IS the thermostat
Just a gentle note to the sarcastic types who proclaim the problem with the furnace has to be the thermostat. Talked to a friend of mine, today, right after church. Their house was recently too hot....
3
3

Vertical versus horizontal thinking for home repair
One friend of mine described to me the concept of vertical thinking versus horizontal thinking. In short, vertical thinking says "if it isn't working, do it more, harder, faster". Horizontal thinking...
1
1

Epoxy for metals
I've been using JBWeld and have been happy with the results; not happy that the tubes seem impossible to reseal, completely. Any other products with which folks have had success?
26
26

IR Thermometer at home
I've got a non contact IR thermometer next to the microwave. Provides me quick temp check of my food. See if it needs another minute of heat. Totally convenient, and gets used several times a day.
4
4

How Do Reindeer Fly?
The season is here to contemplate how reindeer fly. The article below seems to make more sense than most I have read, but I actually thought that since the middle of the 20th century, the reindeer...
25
25

Great stuff or backer rod?
When ceiling a French drain for the basement or floating slab which would be better? Great stuff or backer rod? I have read pros and cons on both so I'm looking for someone who has experience that can...
8
8

Smoke detector for Christmas
Walmart has a discount smoke detector for #3.97. I know. I bought one for myself today for the hall, and spent 10.97 and got the one with the light, for over the bed. The four dollar one came with a...
15
15

Why DonÂ’t Electric Lights Work As Well As My Gas Light?
This is a great website about some really old electrical devices. Many are conversions from the old gas lights. http://www.rexophone.com/?p=667

Use of "so", my screwup!
I mistakenly flagged the first message to be ignored, so i can't see the postings any more. Can't discover a way to reverse the coding. By searching, I can find the posts, and see I did not include...
2
2