54 Amp Hot Water Heater - What breaker?

I have a tankless hotwater heater that says it draws 54 amps (220 volts) but doesn't tell me the size of the circuit breaker to use. It uses #6 wire and I would think I would use a 60 amp dual breaker (30 amps on each breaker) to protect the wire. Is this correct or is #6 wire overkill? Any information would help.....
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You already have the heater?? No install manual?
Who is the mfr? Do they have a web site? Most mfr list the breaker size for each model. Post the model #.
If the rating really is 54 Amp, you may need a 70 Amp breaker (that's 70 each side, NOT 35)
Is your electric service big enough to add that load?
Jim
Jim,
Thanks for the quick response. I am installing it in a small cabin I own and it has 100amp service. The model is a Niagara Titan SCR2 N120. The site is below but isn't much help. It's not a big deal if it doesn't work out for me but I'd like to try.
http://www.titanheater.com/tankless_water_heater.php
The site is pretty useless as is the manual as they all state that it depends on the codes of the area.
Chuck...
Speedy Jim wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You weren't kidding about their web site :-)
There are a lot of highly technical factors here which you may be willing to overlook since it's a remote cabin. I imagine others will be along shortly to expand on this. <g>
Back at the web site, their rating is based on 220V service, not 240V. The cabin likely has nominal 240V which would bump the load up to 59 Amp. A 60 Amp breaker (2 60 Amp poles, not 30/30) won't like that. I bet you will be looking at a 70 Amp breaker and even there it's a tad undersized. Check that the panel will accept large breakers.
Don't forget a Ground wire to the heater (bare ground, not White Neutral.)
Best luck at the cabin...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not really. Try the FAQ. Always a good general practice, besides RTFM.
They covered your situation, so you might be less judgemental.
J,
Are you seeing something I am not in the FAQ? I did RTFM and it doesn't tell me what I need. Perhaps you are the one who should be less judgemental. Do you own stock or something in this company. Geez, lighten up.
Chuck....
snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

It tells you what you're asking for. Matter of fact, a little later in this thread you thank another poster for a 'cut n paste' from the FAQ. <chuckle> see number nine in the following:
http://www.titanheater.com/faq/index.php?p fault&cat=7#a30

You might want to check with the manufacturer for their recommendations. As I see it, assuming you have 240v, you need #4 wire and a 70a breaker. And you better not be using an electric oven while this is on!
The SCR2 N-120 draws a "maximum" of 54 amps. Meaning, it will consume a maximum of 54 amps at peak power output, only as necessary. Most local codes would call for the use of a 60 amp breaker, and a #6 AWG wire gauge. Your local code or installation could be different.

Jolt,
Thanks for the info. So that means I need a double breaker with 60 amps on each breaker? I have new Cutler-Hammer 100amp panel.
Chuck.....
jolt wrote:

Correct a 60 amp 220 breaker. I'm surprised that the rating plate doesn't specify a MAX breaker size.

True if his installation was 350' away so he gets adequate voltage drop from 240v to 220v. I would try to prevent that by using #4.

Here's what I found on the mfg's website.... http://www.titanheater.com/faq/index.php?cat=7#a30d