Subject Author Posted Replies

toilet, toilet, TOILET!!!!!
Dam*n thing is still leaking around the flapper. I've NEVER had something like this that was so difficult to solve. It's been going on now for months despite everything I've tried and the suggestions...
4
4

Best time to paint the siding
Hi I live in Toronto/Ontario. My house siding is smart panel from home depot ( It has not painted at all. I do not know when it was installed but I have been living here for more than 7 years. I would...
2
2

OT: Microsoft is burying adware in its updates
Windows patch KB 3139929: When a security update is not a security update Microsoft buried a Get Windows 10 ad generator inside this month's Internet Explorer security patch for Windows 7 and 8.1
4
4

Outdoor halogen replacements
Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more energy efficient. I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels (in an outdoor fixture). Best I can seem to come up...
14
14

The cost of not doing maintenance
Milwaukee does $5 billion in tourist business each year. The domes are one of the many reasons tourists flock to our city. Because the budget for maintenance was slashed the wonderful landmark is in...
4
4

Bench grinder attachment to sharpen chisels etc.
Do they make an attachment for a bench grinder that lets you adjust the angle? I want to be able to sharpen chisels, etc. I found one for drill bits. Thanks.
5
5

It's Raining Cats & Dogs!
If its raining Cats & Dogs, which do you catch first, the cats or the dogs? :)
2
2

I broke the handle off a ball valve. How to attach it???
I broke the handle off a ball valve. Darn hose got stuck on it, and broke off the threaded part. It's not a bolt, but rather the brass shaft had threads on it, and a nut above the handle. That...
19
19

OT: Can you tell the difference between sounds behind you and in front of you?
According to this: "some people can tell if the sound is in front or behind them." I've never heard of that before. Can you? Hearing Direction and Distance with Sound by Ron Kurtus - Understanding...
41
41

GFCI Downstream Protection
1979-built house, two bathrooms sharing a common wall, one plain electrical outlet in each bathroom. Both outlets are on the same circuit; i.e., one circuit breaker kills them both. I want to install...
10
10

Preparing basement for tiles
We are in the process of changing part of our basement over from carpet to tiles. We are going to do our own demo of the carpeted area. Pulling up the carpet has left the tack strips. When I get them...
8
8

Trick for Running Just the Blower on My Furnace?
My 670 sq foot two-story condominium has an evaporative cooler on the roof, a furnace in an upstairs closet (air intake at the base of the closet), an d a two-wire thermostat. There is no independent...
11
11

Health Hazard of Dry Skin
Most of those lotions dont do anything unless you can get off the calouses first. While I did try both an electric sander and an angle grinder, I quickly learned that is a good way to burn the skin....
17
17

can opener
20 years ago? More? The can lids, the top seams, lost most of their metal years ago. Ever since it's been difficult to remove the tops. The can opener can't get a good grip. It's a game to make it all...
9
9

Unbalanced A.C. line
An electrician removed a defective breaker from a friend's house but he never returned. A year later she had me replace the breaker. (Evidently those outlets were not terribly critical.) I did a...
20
20