50a breaker with 40a cord set?

I have a circuit comprising a 50a breaker, #6 wire, and a 50a outlet. I want to plug a 40a range into it. Presumably the 40a cord set is #8. Is this acceptable, or would I have to change the cord set or breaker?
Well, suppose you plug your one amp table lamp (with a 120 watt bulb) into a 20 amp circuit. Does it work OK? I'd just plug it in and don't give it a second thought.
I had frontiernet for a while. You in NY State? I think Rochester Tel is now Frontier Tel.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus