500 Watt Halogen Lights on Stand

I need to purchase some of those 500 Watt Worklights on a stand. I am thinking of buying one of the "Commercial Electric" models available at The Home Depot.
One of the Models is $30. The other is $50. They should function the same, but the $50 model is supposedly more heavy duty.
I do not plan on beating up the lights very much at all. In fact, they will not be used extensively. Does anyone have experience or thoughts about these lights? Thanks.
I've bought a few of the cheaper models, never had the first problem. Can't relate to the more expensive ones, couldn't see the point. I'm not a contractor, but I have used my "cheap" ones quite a bit, and they are great. Summertime though, they put out a hell of a lot of heat....
On 7 Jan 2004 10:11:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (johnny) wrote:

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Have a couple of the single lite cheaper ones, sure helped me paint a house this summer. It got too hot during the day, so I just waited till it cooled down turned on the lights and painted till I wanted to stop.
Dave
I just bought the $30 model at the Home Depot last week. Yellow in color, twin 500 bulbs. The stand is light weight, maybe a little flimsy perhaps, but works well

Yup. I've used them on construction jobs. The tubular lamps are not rated for rough service. If the light stand gets knocked over once, the bulbs are gone. The replacements can be $8.00 - $12.00.
Now I just make my own using rigid conduit and some weatherproof lampholders. Floodlights and rough service bulbs last longer on a construction site and are cheaper than the halogen bulbs though not as bright.
You might want to find out how much a replacement lamp costs before purchasing the unit.

$1 at the dollar store for a replacement bulb.

This is Turtle.
Hey Scott , really do they have them at the Dollar stores for a $1.00 ? I haven't check at Dollar stores but the best price i have seen is $1.99 for the 500 watt fingers. Sorry but always looking for a bargin .
TURTLE

Yes, but not all of them. Next time I see one I'll report back the name of the store and exact location, but I've definately seen them.
On 7 Jan 2004 10:11:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (johnny) wrote (with possible editing):

I bought the cheap ones and wish I hadn't. The problem is that the stands are poorly designed - flimsy and tip easily. As others have said, the bulbs are expensive and not very shock resistant. Next chance I get, I'm going to replace them.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
(johnny)

wrote (with possible editing):

Actually, the sockets on mine are ceramic, but the stand is quite flimsy.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

This is Turtle.
I use these type lights on roof tops in the hvac business and found that the cheaper is just fine. you are going to tear them up no matter what you do and the bulbs are high , so Get the cheapest there is and plan on changing them out everyso often. I get these type lights from Cummings tools co. when they have a sale in my area and the 500 watt no stand $9.95 and finger bulbs are $1.99 . The 500 watt single 5 foot stand type is $14.99 and the 1000 watt double lites with 5 foot stand is $19.95 and the 500 watt light bulb are $1.99 each. I get a year or two out of these and use about 3 or 4 finger bulbs a year. But mostly kill the finger bulbs with falling when the light is on or just burns out after a lot of use. Now my last one fell off a 20' building and I just get a new one out of the spares boxes I have. I keep a spare or 2 in stand by. now abuse will kill them faster than anything.
TURTLE
I was in a Walmart a couple weeks ago, and saw a fluorescent version of the 500 watt lights. Looked like a good idea, and a lot less heat output.
But if you have photo-grey lenses in your eye glasses, the UV will darken your glasses, adn you're back to being blind.
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated