50 microns enough? gold plated contacts.

Page 3 of 3
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:22:07 -0400, J Burns

And you can get DSL with a dial-up internet connection

Or is this a record of when you dial a phone call?
It also kept a record of what it measured when you dialed up. How do you see the record? Is it on the "web page" or the "page" that displays when you use your web-browser to go to 192.168.100.1 ?
I've wondered about whether one can get DSL when he has dial-up internet. Is that what you have? When I got DSL, it was always on and didn't need me to make a connection, and at first I just assumed it was always like that.

This shows how confused I was. There was no chance of getting rid of *their* modular connection. I misunderstood which wires were going out and which were going in, which from the customer part and which from the phone company part of the nid. So I spend 30 minutes yesterday, cleaning and connnecting to the two screws, but I had unplugged the modular plug to plug in a phone (right there) in case I got a call, and it didn't work (because the modular plug was unplugged). and I put it back the way it was.
I stuffed the surface mount jack inside the NID so it will be even dryer now, and it all clean now and should last 5 years, but next day that's not too hot, I'll connect it to the screws as I intended.
I didn't have a small wire brush so I used a pointed automobile battery clamp wire brush and it did a good job on both the jack and the plug.
I wonder if the jack and plug in the NID are gold-plated.

On 8/1/15 4:39 PM, micky wrote:

I had a browser interface with DSL. After all these years, I'm not sure what information I could get from a dialup modem.

No.

It's in the form of a website with several pages. It's not the worldwide web. Instead of coming through my ISP, it comes directly from my modem.
AT&T sent me a CD to automate the installation of my modem. Without the CD, I could have set it up through the browser interface.

I guess I left dialup about 10 years ago and DSL about 4 years ago, so I'm a little foggy. The browser interface was with my DSL modem. What model modem do you have? What version of Windows?
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 2 Aug 2015 20:19:09 -0400, J Burns

I don't remember. ;-(

XP. I'll upgrade eventually. But on a good day the XP works exceeedingly well.
On another topic, drip loops, since the opening to the NID is at the bottom, the new setup has a drip loop automatically.
On 8/4/15 6:55 AM, micky wrote:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/g/192_168_2_1_def.htm
This page says 192.168.2.1 is a common address for your modem console. It may have been the address my DSL modem used. My current modem uses another number.

<http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/findaddrwinxp.htm This may explain how to find your modem's private IP from XP. On a Mac, my modem's private IP is listed as "router."

goats used to live in mud in their hillside sheds. It couldn't have been healthful. I solved it in minutes by scraping a ditch on the uphill side of each shed, as I would with a tent. No more mud inside!
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 4 Aug 2015 17:16:11 -0400, J Burns

I'll read it. Tanks.

I'm sure they appreciated it. As much as a goat can.
Seriously, a good idea.
micky wrote:

Typically NID is a little block grounding and lightning arrestor where you punch in wires in/out. If you need connection to modular jack, you punch in pig tail with modular plug. Micky, you always seem to have weird one of a kind problems. Are you living in a vintage house full of vintage stuffs? You have to move along with changing times. Keep on top of new things, LOL! In my neighborhood all cables are under ground. Nothing clutters or overhangs. Only trees and one piece steel street light poles(not ugly wooden poles) You live in U.S. of A. Not in a third world country some where.
On 7/31/15 6:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Street lights should be underground! I should know. I don't drive drunk, but I once tried to walk while talking on a cell phone. :)
J Burns wrote:

Of course power cables are underground for the poles. So you got big bump on your forehead?, LOL!
On 7/31/15 10:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

If I'm talking to a lady, a sharp blow to the face could cause me to lose my presence of mind and express displeasure in unrefined terms.
Heavy equipment has a beeper that sounds when it backs up. Light posts should have beepers like that, for the safety of pedestrians with cell phones!
It's been years since I tried talking on a cell phone while walking, but I have been practicing with my cordless phone. I often go out to check the rain gauge while on the phone. So far, I haven't walked into the garage wall.
Neighbors give me strange looks when they saw me walking around, apparently talking to myself. I need to paint my headset and cord bright orange so they won't get the wrong impression.
J Burns wrote:

I bumped into a pole when I was a kid walking and reading at the same time. Then there wasn't any thing like cell phones. Colliding with pole is better that falling into a manhole, LOL!
On 8/1/15 12:41 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

thought I could navigate by memory. I had to choose between a luminous compass and a headlamp. I chose the headlamp.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:34:40 -0600, Tony Hwang

Well, the punching's been done so what's left is the plugging and screwing.

Yeah, I had done that.

That't true. I don't want the same kind of problems everyone else has. That would be like wearing the same tie or a woman wearing the same dress as another. (Plus if I do have the same kind of problem, I have already read about it here. New problems need answers more.)

Built in 1979.

Great idea.

My neighborhood too. Who mentioned cables? I only mentioned the NID.

It's always good to hear how nice your neighborhood and house are.

On 7/30/2015 9:55 AM, notbob wrote:

Instead of the lubricant WD, you might try Caig Deoxit. A friend suggested that to me, for some electronics connections. Well worth the $15 on Ebay. Also to displace water, dielectric grease is good. Advance Auto Parts has it in the row with the RTV and other small tubes. I've used dielectric grease water displacer on many things with success.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Mold

Also found gold RCA jacks, even at Home Depot. If I coudl find a gold RCA plug, I might use that instead of RJ11.

Went to Home Depot
Found what J.Burns found for me. (Thanks again) http://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-Surface-Mount-Telephone-Jack-White-468-4C-WH/203715467 White surface mount phone jack. Says gold contacts on webpage. But not on package. Also ivory phone (4 springy things) and also white internet (8 springy things) Items look alike, packinging looks alike, all 3 same price, only the one 5 lines up says gold on webpage, but like I say, not on package. How could it be gold when the others are the same price and none say it on the package? Tune in and learn the solution, in the next post.
All same Model #, 468 and either 4C or 8C but different Store SKU's and different Internet #'s
First time I have trouble, woman looks it up for me on computer at Contractor's Desk. Second time, she gets off the phone to go to the back of the store. I say, Can I use the computer? She says yes. Logs herself off. But when she comes back from somewhere else in the store, she's impatient with me. Oh well.. She was still polite, but one could tell.
Last time, 15 years ago, or so, no computer and no more copies of the CD someone said they had, and the webpage was very inaccurate. It and Lowes' the two worst on the net. Now it's pretty good, except today.
All three listed, just for the record, but there's nothing I haven't told you. http://www.homedepot.com/b/N-5yc1v/Ntk-All/Ntt-surface%2Bmount%2Bjack?NCNI-5&browsestoreoption=1
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 29 Jul 2015 22:51:19 -0400, micky

Finallly dawns on me: Look in the NID, the network interface device.
It's a SNI®-4600 probably by Keptel.
A = 2 Screw, 2 Wire, RJ-11 interface

No, I don't.
I looked in the NID and I saw there was room for the surface mount jack, out of the weather (but still with humidity).
But I'd already remembered. THERE ARE SCREWS, 2 of them, red and green.
That's all I need, No shopping, no money.
See red and green screws in picture: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keptel-SNI-4600-DC-A-Deep-Cover-Telephone-Network-Interface-Device-Enclosure-NID-/371395214059?hash=item5678e13aeb
Still raining today but I'll fix it when it's clear out.
I should have done this in the first place, but I was only used to plugging in the telephone to test the line.
Thanks everyone for your help.
micky posted for all of us...

Why don't you give us all the details up-front? Man o' man all this reading and no info except from every other poster who tells of their own setup; like we really care.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*