50 microns enough? gold plated contacts.

Page 2 of 3
On 8/3/2015 2:56 PM, J Burns wrote:

I tried WTF-40, but after that I really didn't care one way or the other.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You realize this is floor re-finisher and not any good for renewing n/w jacks? Geez get a good jack at Big boxers or electrical supply and replace it, weatherproof it as possible, put a drain hole in, and stuff it with grease as noted by others. I had an interior jack do this in a modular classroom where the roof leaked into the wall cavity.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 8/3/15 4:29 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Another solution would be to put cardboard under the jack before you pump it up. That way you won't have to refinish the floor.
J Burns posted for all of us...

ace

If I had jacked anything in that trailer it would have put a drain hole through the floor...
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 8/4/15 4:12 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Until January of 1965, Bob Dylan used to mount his jack outside his trailer. Then he discovered, "the jack don't work cuz a vandal took the handle."
That's probably why Micky's jack doesn't work! He needs to post his property: "Fine for Trespassing."
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:09:40 -0400, J Burns

Fancy that. Hard to find gold and here it is right here at Home Depot.
I'll probably get it this morning. Thanks a lot.
I'll change the plug for a new one and get gold plugs a little later
Rewiring is not really an option, Bob. Long story. But this is the first real problem I've had in 10 years and with gold instead of copper I'm probably good for 20 more**. I'll rewrap the connection too, and maybe check the wrapping in less than 10 years this time. (There's a motorcycle in the way now, which I have to sell.)
I may use the grease too, thanks Unc.
**That will make me 88 years old. I'm going to have a lot of work to do that year. I hope I'm up to it.
On 7/30/15 8:34 AM, micky wrote:

I first found grease in a telephone jack at a neighbor's service entrance. I thought somebody had goofed because other jacks I'd seen at service entrances had been clean. I learned grease was SOP for the phone company.
I once set up a carport light with three-way switches. The outdoor switch box was well protected from rain, but switches didn't last long. Outdoors, a switch can sometimes be colder than the dew point. That means condensation. The same thing could happen in a telco service entrance box. That explains why they use grease.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 29 Jul 2015 22:51:19 -0400, micky

It seems 50 is enough. In fact I found a page that said gold plating ranged from 3 to 6 microns, up to 50, which is the best.
Of course the question remains, doest it really have anywhere near that much, especially considering the first plugs I found were only 12 cents each, and shipping for as few as 1 or as many as 10 or more was only $3.
But the much bigger problem is finding jacks, surface mount, and JB did that.
As of yesterday: Except for Radio Shack brand, which with shipping is now 2 or 3 times the price it was at the store, this is the only surface mount that mentinos gold that I've found: http://www.trianglecables.com/category/phone-surface-mount-boxes.aspx and they only say "Gold-Plated Screw Terminals". Woudl they really be dumb enough to gold plate the screw terminals, which don't need it, and not the springy things that touch the plug contacts?
Micky

Been there, wore out that t-shirt.
Got an outside line (POTS/DSL) from my point-of-access (PA) to house. Couldn't find a single line long enough so connected two lines with dbl-female union. Over the last Spring, lost both phone and internet connectivity several times. Each time it was mold ("black") on the contacts of the mid-line union.
My solution: old tooth brush and WD40 (which is a water displacement (WD) formula, not a lubricant!). Hosed all connections w/ WD40 and scrubbed mold out with toothbrush. Worked well in dead of rainy-season as a quick-fix, but finally hadda buy a new union.
HTH nb
In alt.home.repair, on 30 Jul 2015 13:55:15 GMT, notbob

Yesterday for the first time, there was scratchiness on the phone, though that had gone away before I fiddled with this jack.

You really have been there.

Yeah, it does help. I tried blowing the mold off, and I imagined that I was getting somehere with the jack part!

DSL via POTS (plain ol' telephone system) can drop only the DSL signal OR only the phone signal OR both. I've had good, scratchy, and plain ol' dead from both signals, independent of each other. No kidding. internet connectivity worked fine, but phone signal was dead. I'm still scratching my head on that one. ;)
nb
In alt.home.repair, on 30 Jul 2015 15:53:43 GMT, notbob

Well, maybe I should go into detail. The first time I thought to test the phone I called myself and it said it was a disconnected number. Yikes! I thought, that would explain why the internet didn't work.
Later I looked at redial and it really was my number. And I used redial and got a busy signal, So I think the first time the line was so scratchy .... it misinterpreted a tone to be a diferent number.. That's impossible.

I haven't had the last one, But I have had iirc Usenet works, email works, but web doesn't work. That's when I actually let someone from the phone company come out. Even though it was my fault, I don't think he charged me. He said there are several levels of failing.
While I was talking to him, either he or I decided my wire from the NID to the modem was inadequate. It was flat stuff used to go from the wall to the phone, and it was cheap flat stuff, because I'm cheap, and it never occurred to me it could degrade anything. I bought 100 feet of it, because I'm not totally cheap. It was also still wrapped on the spool, 75 feet of it, so maybe that caused inductive problems. I think I had just put it in because, like in your previous post, I had been using two wires conected with a dbl-female, and I knew that would be trouble.
But this wire was thinner than that, and when I put that in, I lost my web!. So I went to the round white stuff meant for inside the walls, and stiffer than the minimum is what I had. And I put modular jacks on each end and a very short male to male modular cord on the outside going to the NID. (and another longer one on the inside to the modem, but that one doesn't get wet.) And my download speed tripled from two kinds of wire earlier. (since there was almost no downloading with the wire I used second.) People have told me this can't happen, but it did and I'm 98% sure there was no other reason.
And that's where I am now.
I have some thin shielded cable that is supposed to replace the round white wire, maybe later this summer.

I can relate.

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:15:29 -0700 (PDT), Uncle

Aha. I can understand that.

Yep. Makes sense and I suspected as much. TIG welders also use a high freq signal to initiate a lower freq spark across a gap.
nb
On 7/30/15 10:23 AM, micky wrote:

If your NID has a disconnect jack, you could plug in a phone there to see if there's any problem outside your own wiring.
My phone wiring is so old that there's not even a disconnect plug at the service entrance. I think it's two insulated wires twisted around each other. I could use a browser to get a GIU interface with my DSL modem. It kept a record of what it measured when I dialed up. That showed me that my old wiring handled the frequencies very well.
There were intermittent problems on voice and DSL. I disconnected my home wiring at the NID, clipped a jumper across the ends, and used a meter to find any resistance in the system. There was a little resistance where a spade terminal of the wall jack screwed down. I cleaned that up.
Intermittent scratchiness continued for years. One morning it was especially bad. When I phoned to report it, they said they'd have it fixed in 24 hours. When I phoned from a neighbor's an hour later to say I'd lost service completely, they said a week.
I ordered cable. When the phone man showed up, he found that the phone cable along the street was broken in two places. I'll bet they'd been broken for years. By now, my neighbor had been without phone service four days. The phone man told her he could have fixed it in five minutes because he knew where her break was and his ladder was up, but that would have been against company policy. She had to wait a few more days.
Cable gives me five times the speed for less than half the price of DSL.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 02:11:33 -0400, J Burns

This is the first time I can recall scratchiness in the phone, so I'm not going to worry about it.

You probably know that in most places, the phone company will put a NID in for free.

No kidding? How would I do that?

That was the Marine slogan. "Scratcihness we do immediately. No service we take a week."

Glad to hear that.
It turns out instead of looking for gold-plated phone modular connectors, there are screws inside the NID that I plan to use. That will get rid of their modular connection and my own. and it won't get moldy or whatever because it can be tightened down, compared to my wire that blew in the wind. I don't know if slight moviement of the plug in the jack would clean the connection or allow it to get dirty.
On 7/31/15 12:17 PM, micky wrote:

I'm usually foggy about technical jargon, so I looked it up. An NID is the box where home wiring connects to telco wiring. It may or may not have a jack.
In 1996, I discovered that my phone electrode wasn't bonded to my power electrode, 30 feet away. In 1998, lightning hit a tree 30 feet away. It blew the "fuse" on the pole across the street, but my computer and phone equipment were OK. I told the phone guy I thought the ground surge would have wiped out my stuff if I hadn't bonded the electrodes.
For half an hour, he hemmed and hawed. Then he blurted it out. The electrical code called for bonding, but it was against telco policy because they didn't like replacing fuses.
I would have liked a jack, but I figured it would be dangerous to let a company like that replace my NID.

For my current modem, I type the IP 192.168.100.1. Sometimes the modem manual tells you the IP. In this case, I looked it up in Network in System Preferences. The procedure to find the IP is probably a little different in Windows.

The one place I found resistance in my home wiring was in a screw-down connection indoors. Grease should prevent that in a jack or a screw connection.

I doubt the modem manual would tell the IP address as it is assigned by the internet system. You may be thinking of the MAC number.
On 7/31/15 6:00 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

http://www.conniq.com/FAQ/lan-wan-ip-address.htm
The ISP assigns a WAN IP. To ask the modem, "How's it going?" the computer uses the LAN IP.
If I ping my WAN IP, the signal will go to my ISP and back. If I just want to ping my modem, I use the LAN IP.

Yea, just wasn't thinking about the local IP address.