50 microns enough? gold plated contacts.

Page 1 of 3
I've probably found the weak link in my internet connection.
Raining today, no internet. Outside. Wire that runs outside not actually wet. Protected by eave.
But one modular jack has black spring wire, and modular plug has one black contact.
Need gold connections.
Despite all the ones for sale, Never did before.
Found plugs, 50 micron gold plated contacts. Is that enough?
So far surface-mount jacks gold plated, but only screws Not spring wires, you idiots.
Still shopping, Summer heat is with us.
I tried to write this like a haiku But it didn't work.
I've probably found the weak link in my internet connection.
Raining today, no internet. Outside. Wire that runs outside not actually wet. Protected by eave.
But one modular jack has black spring wire, and modular plug has one black contact.
Need gold connections.
Despite all the ones for sale, Never did before.
Found plugs, 50 micron gold plated contacts. Is that enough?
So far surface-mount jacks gold plated, but only screws Not spring wires, you idiots.
Still shopping, Summer heat is with us.
I tried to write this like a haiku But it didn't work.
micky wrote:

You can use it on worn out contacts. Just brush on.
On 7/29/15 10:51 PM, micky wrote:

<http://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-Surface-Mount-Telephone-Jack-White-468-4C-WH/203715467>

rewire to elminate all outdoor jacks, they arent designed for outdoor use!
there are some outdoor jacks but they arent designed for continious use. they have a spring loaded cover to keep it weather tight..
phone wiring is super simple. its time to upgrade:)
where can this liquid gold stuff be purchased.? ihave a machine that i service it would be useful.
On 7/30/15 6:46 AM, bob haller wrote:

I'm not accusing Micky of trolling, but he didn't actually say the jack was outdoors.
If it's outdoors, that explains it. He said it's a surface-mount jack. You should never put a surface mount jack on a house that will be underwater, as so many have been since 2008. He should use a submarine jack.

http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/scotts-liquid-gold/
I'm glad Tony recommended it. It's a lot cheaper than DeoxIT.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 08:41:09 -0400, J Burns

I'm not trolling, and I did refer to the outdoors early in my poem, though I didn't specifically say the jack is outdoors. It is.

Do they really make those? I sort of looked.
I read that RJ13 or maybe RJ15 are waterproof for marinas, but googling them only gave me telephone museums. Even though there is wireless everything now, there must still be something that is waterproof.
But it's easier to use a normal jack and put the junction in a ziploc bag. That's what I did, but the bag fell apart after 8 or 10 years, and I found an inch of water in the bottom of it yesterday (though when I snapped the cover off the jack box, it was dry inside. But probably humid.) This time, even with the gold, I'll use a new ziploc bag and some tape around the opening I have to have.
As to flooding, I live right next to a stream which, after enough rain, maybe once every year or two, it can go from being 10 inches deep and 12 feet across to 10 feet deep and 30 feet across. Maybe wider, it's hard to see. It rises to literally one inch from my property line. It took a couple episodes to start me "worrying", but after another 20 years** I was convinced my house will never flood.
For one thing, besides that one inch, the stream would have to rise another 6 inches to go over the outside window sill of the basement window. Plus the higher the water gets the wider the area it has to cover is. I was told that before it gets to our lawns, it would have to cover the street on the other side of the stream (and about 80 feet of woods.)
This was all designed after Baltimore had had some severe flooding during Hurricane Agnes, in June of 1972, before I got here and before the townhouses I live in were built in 78 and 79. Besides lots of other damage in the city and state^^, three to five houses just a mile downstream from me (though on a bigger stream) were washed away**** and the county was determined that that would not happen again.
****The area is a park now iirc, though I think I could tell that it was composed of empty lots. I don't know but I have the impression that the county bought the houses after they were destoryed at near market prices as if they were still there, on the theory that the county should never have permitted their construction.
^^"In the state of Maryland, damage totaled to $110 million and 19 fatalities were reported." In one area a few miles from here water was 40 feet above what was normally dry ground. I think that's when the county also insisted that every new housing development have a catch basin for water runoff, to slow its arrival at streams and to prevent flooding. A house I almost bought had had 16 inches of water in the basement, but they did something to that stream too there has been no more flooding there, and afaik there has been little or no flooding in all of Baltimore County and City in the last 30 years. .
What I should have done is drive over there when the stream is at flood stage and see how close it is to flooding the street, but I didn't think of that for the first 25 years, and the chance hasn't arisen since.
**(It's been 32 years by now, plus the house was here 4 years before I bought it, and I know from the pristine basement that nothing went wrong in those 4 years.)
The front of the house where the jack is is about 14 inches higher than the back, and the NID, the phone company junction box, is about 8 inches higher yet, and the wire I have running out of that is no lower. The in-house wiring failed somewhere 10 or 15 years ago and I can't find the problem***, plus I decided I wanted the wiring to go straight to the DSL modem. Prior to the failure, it went to the basement (and to all the wired phones) including to the kitchen and the kitchen phone, to the upstairs bedroom, to the DSL modem. I wanted the telephones last, not even in parallel but after the modem, and even now that I have only one phone, a base station for 3 wireless extensions.,by running my this wire, I want that and I've got that.
*** Besides the jacks in 3 rooms that the house came with, I installed 6 more jacks, including one for a handset in the bathroom, with a ringer behind the wall plate, a switch to turn off the ringer, and a neon light to work if the ringer is off, and a switch to answer the phone with.
I looked for quite a while, testing, disconnecting, connecting, then gave up for a year and used my outside wiring, then I determined again to fix it, but when I went back to the house wiring it was working fine, but for only two months. Then it failed again and I looked for the problem again, and after that the DSL advantage made me give up on the house wiring..

Me too. I have a new girlfriend and I'm going to try to make her some gold jewelry with this stuff. I'm sure she'll be impressed.
On 7/30/15 10:14 AM, micky wrote:

I was talking about all the mortgages that were underwater after 2008, and I guess millions still are.
It seems logical, if they make surface mount jacks, they must make submarine mount jacks... eh???
I'm sure Tony was talking about DeoxIT, like Stormy. I think the one you apply to contacts has been called Liquid Gold. The trouble is the price, about $25 for 7ml.
When we hit port, we'd hook up phone cables from shore to ship and to the quarterdeck shack, like a big phone booth on the pier. Electricians did that. I was in electronics. We did connections for radio and radar antennas. I don't remember any gold plating. We depended on silicone grease, RTV, and special tape.
I think you'll do fine with grease.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:43:32 -0400, J Burns

No, I was serious. I thought maybe they (or you jokingly) renamed the RJ15 meant for marinas and the joke you were making was tying real jacks to flooded houses. Underwater on the mortgage didnt' even occur to me.

Right!

Wow.

Hmmm. Okay.

If the stuff on the connection is corrosion, oxidation, how does it get on the plastic too?** And if it is mold. why is it especially on electrical (phone) connections?
**There is more not on the copper than on the copper.
On 8/1/15 4:45 PM, micky wrote:

surface, but I thought it hated copper. Grease should prevent mildew by keeping dirt off the surface.
On 7/30/15 10:14 AM, micky wrote:

Drip loops help where a cable is exposed to rain. If the jack is protected from rain, and all cables go downward from the jack and plug, no rainwater will reach it. All you have to worry about is condensation. Even if you used no grease or spray stuff, condensation might not happen enough to cause a problem.

If a cable goes straight to the modem, it's probably best to put your filters near the NID.
A phone cord with a mod plug could make troubleshooting easy. Cut it and short the conductors with a wire nut, for example.
Unplug your phones and disconnect your house wiring at the NID. Clip an ohmmeter to the leads to be sure it's infinite ohms, no short. Then put your shorted plug into each jack to be sure you have something close to zero ohms from the NID leads.

fertilize her house plants.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 21:06:06 -0400, J Burns

I should have done that years ago. Not too late. Thanks.

Well the phone company doesn't use any grease in the NID, I was reminded of that yesterday.

Thanks.

On 8/1/15 5:04 PM, micky wrote:

home wiring at the NID and short the leads with a jumper (alligator clips). Then I'd use the leads of a modular plug as an easy way to check each jack for zero ohms with a meter. (I haven't used my phone wiring since 2011.)
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 2 Aug 2015 19:50:44 -0400, J Burns

LOL
On 7/30/2015 8:41 AM, J Burns wrote:

Nice if you have wood constructed machine.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/30/15 11:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 19:34:21 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

I wish I'd known about that. I have a fancy AM-FM radio with preset stations and 2 alarms, but it has push button switches. After 15 years some got dirty, and I cleaned them but they get dirty progressivly more quickly. Now it lasts less than a year and so I haven't used the radio for years.
Anything else I can use that might be not as good but similar?
On 8/1/15 5:08 PM, micky wrote:

file. Contact cleaner may work. I had a key switch in an old car where contact cleaner would fix it temporarily. Eventually, I tried WE-40. It has worked ever since.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 2 Aug 2015 19:58:37 -0400, J Burns

I tried contact cleaner and I couldnt' get in all the way but I gently scraped with a pen knife
WE-40, huh. That's the successor to WD-40 iiuc. I'll try it.
I may try De-oxit too. maybe half of the keys with one and half with the other. No promises but I'll get back to you in a year or two.