5 yrs on washer hoses?

Hi All,

My Maytag manual says to replace washer water hoses every five years. I presume they are talking about those all rubber hoses.

Does this five year replacement plan also apply to my (expensive) stainless steel mesh reinforced hoses?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

No

Lou

Reply to
LouB

If keeping them for more than 5 years will keep you awake at night, then replace them.

What is peace of mind worth to you?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Do you turn the water off at the spigots whenever you're not using the washer?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Read the package.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

I would think that would depend on your water supply pressure. I'm on a well pump that ranges from 30 to 50 lbs. I know some city water pressures can be 80 and above lbs. That shock pressure when the fill valves cut off can vary greatly. I've seen those cheap rubber hoses go

15 or 20 years without any problem.
Reply to
Claude Hopper

$20-$25 for new set of hoses, thousands to replace the water damage if they let go. Your call....

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

good advice...

$20-$25 for new set of hoses, thousands to replace the water damage if they let go. Your call....

Reply to
trailer

Well, potentially if it can flood a finished area. If the washer is say in an unfinished basement, the potential damages may be less than the cost of the hoses.

Reply to
Pete C.

Both hoses are rubber, mainly. Either is apt to fail in 5 years or so...the main difference is the stainless wrapped version will start with a leak that you "may" notice before too much damage is done and the all rubber version will suddenly blow with drastic consequences (flooding).

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

If that stainless hose is wrapped won't it be much harder for the hose to split and develop a leak? Isn't that the main reason for the stainless wrap?

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Petey and momma go away for a romantic weekend in the mountains; washing machine hot water inlet hose lets go Friday night at 745 PM. Unattended and undiscovered, water level rises and rises and rises until it reaches electrical switch in washer (or other basement tool/appliance) causing short/spark which starts big fire. Local fire department responds at 3:53 AM but unable to contain fire that burns house down.

Sure hope y'all enjoyed the percale sheets, Champaign and strawberries;-)

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

I would install a auto shut off valve , turns off water unless washer is running, install new stainless hoses and foreget about it.

if we have a major water line break the water will soon spill out the garage door asnd run down the street. thats assuming the basement floor drain clogs and the sump pump gets overwhelmed.

our basement isnt finished..

Reply to
hallerb

I've been through one broken-toilet flood (an office) and one washer-hose flood. Got our stainless hoses and would gladly replace them every five years. We were at home when the old washer hose let go and even so there was a great deal of water. Flooded dining room and newly remodeled kitchen. Hubby made a mad dash to rental store for a shop vac, so we got the water up almost immediately. If we had been away from home, even for a few hours, it would have been a disaster.

Reply to
Norminn

If you're going to install an automatic shutoff, rather than get one that handles only the washer, I'd recommend looking into the whole house ones. They use a central AC powered shutoff on the main and wireless water sensors for ANY place you want to protect. The sensors can be AC and/or battery powered. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach. The obvious advantage to the whole house device is that you can then very easily protect the water heater, ice maker, etc. With the washing machine only type, you've only protected one location.

There is also a unit that just goes on the main and intelligently monitors the water flow. It can be programmed to cut off the flow under varying parameters. For example, if there is even a slow draw of water that continues for more than X minutes, it will cut the flow off. There are varieties of the above devices that will also interface to alarm system, the internet, etc so that you can be notified.

Reply to
trader4

s;-)- Hide quoted text -

re: There are varieties of the above devices that will also interface to alarm system, the internet, etc so that you can be notified.

Great. So if I'm off on that romantic weekend that Sharped Dressed Man wrote about, and I'm engaged in some sort of romantic "activity", I can get a text that my washer is leaking. Talk about setting the mood.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Unlike most folks, I always turn off the water to the house if I'm away for more than the afternoon. As for the water levels, in one house the washer is in the unfinished basement with a grade level garage door, so the water level could never get over 1/4" on concrete. In the other house the washer is off the kitchen, on a tiled floor in slab-on-grade construction, with door thresholds, the water might reach 1/2" before flowing over the threshold into the garage and out the garage door.

Reply to
Pete C.

You could replace them with PEX. I believe you can get hose ends for PEX. That should last a life time.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Well Pete, you sure seem like the kind of guy who spends all his spare time remembering to jug the washer shut off valve every time he leaves the house, turning it back on when he gets home and running around the basement with a tape measure and a T-square checking clearances and sighting drain angles.

Tell ya' what-- while you're spending all your spare time doing all that, bet I could talk your wife into going to the mountains with me for the weekend;. She'd probably appreciate some attention for a change;-)

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

Not the washer shutoff, the water supply to the entire house is turned off as is the water heater. Only takes 1 minute to do both.

My wife is short, furry, has razor sharp claws of doom and doesn't like to travel. She does like hunting mice in the garage however.

Reply to
Pete C.