5-year termite booster treatment?

My annual home termite inspection and "insurance" policy has been costing $125 per year. This year, now that the house has been standing five years, the exterminator wants to do a $445 "booster" treatment. I thought the barrier remains intact for many years until the soil is disturbed, so I asked why the house would need a booster, and the lady said the barrier has been breaking down over the five years because of "walking in the yard". Is the a bona-fide service they are offering? -BAM
Your annual inspection/insurance is a waste of money as is the booster they are trying to sell you. If you put the $125.00 per year in a savings account you will end up with more than enough money to rid your house of termites several times over your life.
Example: I am 43 years old. I have owned homes for 20 years. 20 years X $125.00 $2500.00. This is enough to rid a home of termites 2-3 times and I have yet to have termites.
My father is 69 years old and has owned homes for 46 years. 46 years X $125.00 = $5750 - the cost of one termite infestation cost $750.00 leaves him $5000.00 that he did not give to the termite people.
You can send me a $125.00 a month and I'll guarantee your home against termites. ha ha ha!
cm
"Gullible is not in the dictionary"

replying to cm, tuna man wrote: Ubove examples are simply examples or rolling the dice and hoping for the best! Some win, some lose. I cand name many many homes, as can the dept or agriculture that HAS had termite infestations many times with THOUSANDS of dollars worth of termite damage. Usually noone can see termites in the home until there IS hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of damage. The gentleman with a 69 yr old father saved $5000....he was lucky! Termites CAN and DO cause thousands of dollars worth of damage every year! Dont believe me? Call the Florida Dept of Agriculture 850/617-7997, they have nothing to gain nothing to lose!!
Em wrote:

Since they stopped using chlordane, I don't believe that there is any long lasting chemical barrier. If you are observant, as other respondant indicated, you are wasting money on inspections and treatments. I've saved over 30 years without problems. OTOH my next door neighbor ignored the termites in his wood pile next to the house and did not call exterminator until he saw them flying in his basement. Then he got the full treatment. Before the juvenile hormones killed the nest, I was seeing them in wood 20 ft from my house. That year, I put out, I think they are called "Terminate" stake and also I spray foundations a couple of times of year because of ants, and termites did not visit me. Frank
Frank wrote:

Our older condo was tented twice, before we lived here. Termites are all over here, in Florida, so finding them in the yard really has nothing to do with whether the home will be infested. Since we moved here, inspections are done yearly (not all unit owners would "bother"). Newer condos, on either side of us, have been tented within the past two years or so. We have trees chewed up by termites, and seem to have a little war going on between insect species .. one year lots of carpenter ants, another year lots of fire ants, etc. Fire ants eat other larvae, so perhaps they keep the termites down. Some choice! :o)
says... :) My annual home termite inspection and "insurance" policy has been costing :) $125 per year. This year, now that the house has been standing five years, :) the exterminator wants to do a $445 "booster" treatment. I thought the :) barrier remains intact for many years until the soil is disturbed, so I :) asked why the house would need a booster, and the lady said the barrier has :) been breaking down over the five years because of "walking in the yard". Is :) the a bona-fide service they are offering? :) :) For a termiticide to be labeled a termiticide it has to go through Government testing and be effective 100% for at least five years, many will start to break down after that, but termiticides are applied in the soil so walking in the yard has no effect on them. You need to see how the original contract is worded. If you paid for a 5 year warranty only, then their obligation will end then. If it states it is a year to year renewal after initial then tell them since they are liable for any activity since it is under contract it would be in THEIR best interest to perform the booster free if they feel their product is breaking down. What product was originally used?...if it was Termidor, it is the only product on the market to go over 8 years at 100% effectiveness in the Government testing and is now over 12 years at 100% effectiveness. If termidor was used you should be in good shape for a number of more years. Different states have different laws but most protect the consumer. If you choose not to go for the booster I don't think they can drop your service or increase you rates so high that you won't continue with the plan.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
Lar wrote:

Lar-
How long has Termidor been on the market? We had our house done in 1992 by Terminix, but I have no idea what was used. I do remember them saying that the old "lifetime" stuff had been banned and thus we also ended up with the yearly insurance policy (but they have never found termites).
Given the company and year, can you guess what was most likely used and how effective it is thought to be?
thanks,
John
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) :) How long has Termidor been on the market? We had our house done in 1992 :) by Terminix, but I have no idea what was used. I do remember them :) saying that the old "lifetime" stuff had been banned and thus we also :) ended up with the yearly insurance policy (but they have never found :) termites). :) :) Given the company and year, can you guess what was most likely used and :) how effective it is thought to be? :) :) thanks, :) :) John John, Termidor came on the market in 2000. Just guessing, with Terminix it was either Dursban, which took the place of Chlordane and was the most widely used product at the time....maybe Premise, which was coming into the market place around then, which until Termidor and Phantom came out probably was considered the best quality product or a number of the pyrethroids, some were effective some were worthless. Look under your kitchen sink and see if there is a sticker that has the name of the product that was used.
Now the question comes with Terminix, probably any large company....each branch had a Branch manager who may have different philosophy's... if the bottom line was his issue, he may have his guys use the cheapest stuff he could get and if termites showed back up, he has his pool of hourly guys to remedy the problems as they occurred. The other scenario with the large national companies is they expand their termite department during the Spring to take on the craziness of the termite season. As the season moves into Summer, as the helpers get more experience, they now may be sent off to do termite jobs with helpers of their own, thus not being really experienced and not always being the best employees, many knowing they will be let go when the termite season slows down. I hear the same things around the country of being able to buy "black market" termite chemicals from these type of employees, and I would guess the chemical they sell comes from the chemical supposed to be used at Mr Jones' house. So it is really hard to guess of the effectiveness of the work from Terminix and the like. The best protection you have is to have it routinely inspected every couple of years.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
replying to John Ross, tuna man wrote: 1992, Termidor was not used then. The only thing available was cheap barrier chemicals.

I have not purchased termite service, ever. I spend $30 a year on ant/termite product and spray twice around the perimeter of the house. It helps keep out spiders, ants, ladybugs. earwigs, crickets and supposedly termites. You should inspect your house for termites, but few homeowners actually do this. The $445 treatment sounds a bit high. I know some areas of the country are more susceptible to termite infestation that others; ie, I heard that half of Hawaiian houses are infested.
replying to Em, Don wrote:

As with all reviews very seldom does anyone review in the positive. Let me state some FACTS. 1/ The United States Department of Agriculture states Termites do more damage in the United States than all natural disasters combined These include but are not limited to, Fire, Hurricane, Tornado, (all storms) COMBINED! Again, this is stated by the United States Dept. of Agriculture! To verify you can call the Dept. of Agriculture in your state. With these natural disasters you can easily see the damage with the naked eye, with Termites usually there is no visual signs until there is damage. A Termite inspector MAY see signs an untrained eye can not see. That is why he is State licensed. Before he can even take the very difficult state (FL) test he must have 3 yrs verifiable experience under a state licensed operator. So where are these Termites? Usually inside the walls, where NO ONE can see them. How did they get there? About maybe 20% of the time if you're lucky thru mud tunnels on the outside foundation, MAYBE. In 26 yrs experience in the Termite business I've seen, MAYBE 10 mud tunnels on the outside of concrete block homes, at tops!! I have personally inspected thousands of homes. The remainder of times they entered' on slab homes under the tub, shower, cracks in the floor that are invisible due to tile, carpet, wood flooring etc. Around plumbing pipes, expansion joints where the floor meets the walls. Do you have these joints? If block home is pre 1980 probably so. Block homes are approx. 20% block, the remainder is wood!! I have seen at least 75% as many block homes damaged by Termites as wood homes. If your home is built on a crawl space there are MANY more unvisible entry points. So for you that have no termite protection with a TERMITE REPAIR warranty, (many companies do NOT offer the repair warranty) you're rolling the dice, good luck!!! The Dept. of Agriculture has been involved in this a lot longer than you!! Shop around, and be CERTAIN the contract states you are covered by a REPAIR warranty.
On Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:44:02 AM UTC-5, Don wrote:

Aside from the fact the post is 7 years old, he said he has an insurance policy, but didn't say it was a repair coverage policy. He could just mean that for his $125 a year they come inspect the house once a year and if evidence of termites is found, then the *treatment* cost is covered. That's what I have. And the house is 30 years old and they have never suggested needing any booster treatment. Might not be a bad idea, IDK. But given that the best chemicals are no longer allowed to be used, I wouldn't be surprised that any chemical barrier could be gone in 5+ years. It also depends on how prevalent termites are where he's located, etc.
Why would you want to boost your termites?
replying to micky, tuna man wrote: good way toi generate dumb questions!
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 21:44:02 +0000, tuna man

I don't remember ever posting in this thread or about termites.

And nothing in the part of the thread that homeownershub has plagiarized mentions me either.
No only that, nothing there was a dumb question either, and for that matter, asking what others think are dumb questions very frequently brings forth lots of valuable information. Asking incisive questions is likely to scare away people who know lots about a topic but who don't know everything.