5 gallon gas can vent

They have a flame arrestor inside the spout. Sort of like a screen. Available in different colors for different fuels too, of course.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL

Reply to
salty

Thanks

Reply to
mm

They're not actually fire proof they are explosion resistant. They have a flame arrestor that prevents fire from propagating to the inside of the container and causing an explosion. Since the cap is spring loaded it will release any internal pressure to the outside so if the can is exposed to excessive heating from any cause the flammable vapors will vent and burn without the can failing explosively and causing a Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion or BLEVE. As soon as the external heat is removed the lid will reseat and cut off the continuing flow of vapors thus extinguishing the vapor fed fire at the vent.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

The expensive ones have a screen mesh in the opening hole, that helps keep the can from going boom.

better than I can.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Red = gasoline yellow = diesel blue = kerosene white = liquid oxygen pink = flowers used to fuel the fires of love purple = gold, the fuel of royalty

Feel free to ad to the list, while I'm having fun, here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

green=potable water

Reply to
salty

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:haqvcg $l3k$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Rainbow = mixed liquids

Reply to
Steve.IA

Brown = bourbon

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Green = Oxygen

Reply to
Tony

In a jerry can?

Reply to
salty

I don't see any mention of a jerry can until you brought it up.

Reply to
Tony

Look at the subject line.

Reply to
salty

I've got a jerry can. It's olive-drab. It's also stenciled on the bottom "3rd Army Sep 44." Somebody put it out for collection on Heavy Trash Day and I liberated it.

Now this little can helped win the Battle of the Bulge, but it's not red. How can that be?

What goes in an olive-drab container? Blood Plasma? Lubricating oil? Anti-freeze (that would make sense)? Insect repellent? Instant eggs? SOS gravy?

Reply to
HeyBub

Olive oil, of course!

Reply to
salty

Where I grew up, green was unleaded gas and red was leaded. 2-stroke was blue, I think. I'm not sure if that's still true, or if the world's standardised the colors these days...

Of course in practice everyone just used whatever can they had handy :-)

cheers

J.

Reply to
Jules

You've got yourself quite a collectors item there. I've seen people throw away books printed in the 18th and 19th century that were in pretty good shape. It was just an old book, they say. I'm amazed at what some folks will toss in the trash. I found a brand new microwave oven with the manual inside next to a dumpster. It now sits in the shop to warm our lunches.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

salty

Sure - not disputing it for some territories, just making comment that it's probably different everywhere. e.g.:

... forgot about black for diesel.

I think water containers over there were normally white over there, but I don't know if that's any kind of accepted standard; I remember my grandparents having a pale-blue one for drinking water at their campsite.

Personally I wouldn't rely on any color in any country for water unless I knew what had been in it previously - fuel's not really an issue though, providing the can's empty first :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I agree. Other than Red for Gasoline and Yellow for Diesel, I don't think there is one universal standard. Although other colors may be used for gasoline or diesel, you can pretty much count on any red cans being intended for gasoline and yellow cans for diesel anywhere in the world.

You won't find goat milk in a red jerry can!

Reply to
salty