5 gallon gas can vent

Why don't they put vents on plastic gas cans any more? What's wrong with these idiots? It is really stupid to sit there pouring gas that's going glug, glug very slowly and you have to hold the frigging can for 10 minutes. I've decided to poke a hole in the can and put a screw into the hole. Then I can remove it when I pour. What do others do?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Go to websites that sell stuff for car and motorcycle racers. They still have the old style gas jugs with a regular nozzle and a closable vent. They even sell vents that can be added to existing cans, too.

On my boat, I use what look just like old red 5 gallon jerry cans, but made of stainless steel. They have vents and regular nozzles. A little pricey, but worth it to me. I don't like plastic fuel containers on boats.

Reply to
salty

Haven't tried it personally, but:

mike

I needed a new gas can as one of my old ones was leaking through the vent hole which was capped by friction fit and leaked.

Went to several stores to get a decent replacement and discovered like you that all you can buy is this crap. I've spilled more gas with this type can than any other. Guy at the hardware store was cursing former governor for legislating can type as only one you can buy in the state.

I believe Winter gas contains more butane than Summer gas and I've noticed cans looking puffy in the summer, probably from gas bought in the winter ;)

Reply to
Frank

re: "I don't like plastic fuel containers on boats."

Just curious (really!)...

Why not?

I don't own a boat, so I'm really just looking to learn something.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They are not completely impervious. They deteriorate from UV exposure. They are less abrasion and puncture resistant. I just generally feel the metal cans are safer. I also find that more gasoline gets spilled with the new CARB gadgets. I have more pour control, by far, with the old style vent and spout setup on the stainless jugs.

Reply to
salty

They don't put them on anymore because the EPA banned them. Supposedly cuts down on vapor loss. I spill more trying to use those stupid things than would ever emit from an open vent.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

epoxy a radiator petcock where the vent fitting used to be?

nate

Reply to
N8N

One thing I do is to not buy that kind of can. Protest with your wallet. I've seen a few without vents but most have changed and put the vent as part of the spout now. Works as well as the separate vent IMO.

Reply to
Twayne

Didn't know that they'd stopped. I bought a 5gal plastic one last year and it still had a normal vent; when did the change happen?

What really pissed me off was that back in the day I could buy a can with a solid screw-on cap *and* a separate screw-on spout; all the ones I saw last year combined the two to save cost, with a goofy little plastic disc that likes to fall in the dirt every time you go to unscrew the "cap"...

Reply to
Jules

I've taken to collecting vented gas cans at auctions.

Steve Barker

I "gangsta c*ck" the can, and hold it sideways. That way the air comes in, it doesn't glug glug, and pours faster.

Could that be the complicated one with the spring shut snout, and the vapor recovery? I just unscrew and pour from those.

Not to be confused with the metal fire proof ones with snap shut lid.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Me neither. That's why when I got my plastic fuel can, I abandoned plans to get a boat.

Reply to
mm

most of the gas cans today say not for motor vehicle use.............

so they sell cans you cant even use to put a little gas in your car.......

i wish andy rooney would do a 60 minute piece on this

Reply to
bob haller

I put a valve stem in my can and took out the core and put a plastic cap on it. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

lol. I guess that means you're not supposed to carry it in your car.

Yeah. :)

Reply to
mm

What makes them fire-proof? Just that the lid is always on when you're not there, because your finger is not on the opener?

Reply to
mm

His vehicle is fueled by hay.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yep. I picked up four old-fashioned, metal gas cans on Craigslist for ten bucks (total). Cut a piece of gasket material to fit the lid and they're good as new.

Reply to
HeyBub