So I have a GE water dispenser that has Hot, Cold and a 'Fridge'
So lately the watter is coming out either Green or Brown, (I'd have to ask
someone as I cant see the difference between the two colors)
The Water in the 5 gallon bottle is clear and looks clean. If I fill a few
glasses of water it comes clear. The unit is in my office, which usually
has the lights off and has never seen the light of day. So Its not algee
from the sun or anything.
1) What is it?
2) Why is it there?
3) what is the best way to get rid of it?
there is still about 3 gallons of water in the bottle. Any tricks for
getting the bottle off without making a mess?
Had it maybe a year or more. I have one at home that is much older.
I can run 2 or three glasses through it and it is clear. I'll try the
Vinegar to disenfect it. Any tricks to get the bottle of water out?
1. Duct tape the bottle to the dispenser. Turn the whole thing upside down.
Remove duct tape. Remove dispenser.
This probably won't work in that there's water in the internal resevior.
2. Get a moving dolly. Cart the whole enchalada into the parking lot and
3. These "bottles" are plastic, right? Drill a teeny hole in the plastic, as
low as you can get, and catch the water stream in a bucket.
you have some MAJOR problems. first off, just
empty the water out a glass at a time. you probably
have a bacteria growing in your cooler. take the
bottle off the cooler, fill the reservoir with tap water.
put in 1/4th of a TEASPOON of Clorox in that water.
draw about 4 or 5 glasses of water through the cold
spiggot, and pour back into reservoir. do the same
on the hot. let the water sit for about 30 minutes.
draw out all that water and discard. now you MUST
get new bottles, as the bacteria is on your bottles, and
will re-infect your cooler...get new bottles. put a new
bottle on, and discard the first few glasses out of the
cold, and about 10 glasses out of the hot....
I think this is the correct approach, but I would suggest that after
draining the cooler unplug it and take it outside. Use dish washing
detergent and water to wash as much of the crud out as you can and rinse
Now mix a bucket of hot water and add 1/2 cup of bleach per gallon and fill
up the cooler about 3/4 with this and shake things around a bit to get any
bubbles to pop. Now top it off, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Drain the
cooler through each of the taps
This will kill everything that is there. Now rinse everything with tap
water until you can no longer smell the chlorine.
Do not be tempted to think that more is better. Making the bleach solution
stronger does not kill any more bugs and the stronger you make it and the
longer you let it set the more likely you are to get corrosion on things you
do not want to corrode.
The contamination was likely caused by the outside of the bottle. It is
good practice to clean the neck of the bottle before dumping it into the
About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube, then
Do you own the dispenser, or are you renting it from a water delivery
company? If you're renting it, they might either clean it for you or
swap it out for a new machine. Otherwise, you've got to clean ti
yourself, as others have recommended.
Scott Townsend wrote:
Yeah, at $12/month I would have bought it already. Its mine. The one we
have at home has been in great shape for several years. In sunlight too.
Though its usage is far more then the one I have here at the office.
Looks like I'm off to get the bleach and vinegar...
Vinegar will do nothing, and you do not want to mix it with bleach.
Vinegar is used to de-lime, and to prevent bacteria from taking hold Pickle
making) not to kill it off. The bacteria in your cooler may be able to
survive vinegar but chlorine does all the buggies in.
If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the solvent.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.