5 Gal Bottle Water Dispenser, water not clear coming out?

So I have a GE water dispenser that has Hot, Cold and a 'Fridge'
So lately the watter is coming out either Green or Brown, (I'd have to ask someone as I cant see the difference between the two colors)
The Water in the 5 gallon bottle is clear and looks clean. If I fill a few glasses of water it comes clear. The unit is in my office, which usually has the lights off and has never seen the light of day. So Its not algee from the sun or anything.
1) What is it? 2) Why is it there? 3) what is the best way to get rid of it?
there is still about 3 gallons of water in the bottle. Any tricks for getting the bottle off without making a mess?
Thanks, Scott<=-
Have you had it long? If so, try cleaning it with white vinegar and keep rinsing till the color leaves.
--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well

Scott Townsend wrote:

Hmm.
1. Duct tape the bottle to the dispenser. Turn the whole thing upside down. Remove duct tape. Remove dispenser.
This probably won't work in that there's water in the internal resevior.
2. Get a moving dolly. Cart the whole enchalada into the parking lot and disassemble there.
3. These "bottles" are plastic, right? Drill a teeny hole in the plastic, as low as you can get, and catch the water stream in a bucket.
4. Set a bunch of Plants around the dispenser and water them as you take the bottle off
5. Get the Staff inturn/lacky to take it off and clean up the mess

you have some MAJOR problems. first off, just empty the water out a glass at a time. you probably have a bacteria growing in your cooler. take the bottle off the cooler, fill the reservoir with tap water. put in 1/4th of a TEASPOON of Clorox in that water. draw about 4 or 5 glasses of water through the cold spiggot, and pour back into reservoir. do the same on the hot. let the water sit for about 30 minutes. draw out all that water and discard. now you MUST get new bottles, as the bacteria is on your bottles, and will re-infect your cooler...get new bottles. put a new bottle on, and discard the first few glasses out of the cold, and about 10 glasses out of the hot....

I think this is the correct approach, but I would suggest that after draining the cooler unplug it and take it outside. Use dish washing detergent and water to wash as much of the crud out as you can and rinse well.
Now mix a bucket of hot water and add 1/2 cup of bleach per gallon and fill up the cooler about 3/4 with this and shake things around a bit to get any bubbles to pop. Now top it off, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Drain the cooler through each of the taps
This will kill everything that is there. Now rinse everything with tap water until you can no longer smell the chlorine.
Do not be tempted to think that more is better. Making the bleach solution stronger does not kill any more bugs and the stronger you make it and the longer you let it set the more likely you are to get corrosion on things you do not want to corrode.
The contamination was likely caused by the outside of the bottle. It is good practice to clean the neck of the bottle before dumping it into the cooler.
--

Roger Shoaf

I tell my customers to buy one of those new Clorox handi-wipes, that pop up one at a time. keep it close to the cooler and wipe down the neck of the bottle each time...

Do you own the dispenser, or are you renting it from a water delivery company? If you're renting it, they might either clean it for you or swap it out for a new machine. Otherwise, you've got to clean ti yourself, as others have recommended.
Karen
Scott Townsend wrote:

Yeah, at $12/month I would have bought it already. Its mine. The one we have at home has been in great shape for several years. In sunlight too. Though its usage is far more then the one I have here at the office.
Looks like I'm off to get the bleach and vinegar...
Thanks, Scott<-

Vinegar will do nothing, and you do not want to mix it with bleach.
Vinegar is used to de-lime, and to prevent bacteria from taking hold Pickle making) not to kill it off. The bacteria in your cooler may be able to survive vinegar but chlorine does all the buggies in.
--
Roger Shoaf