5/8" vs 1/2" Sheetrock/Blueboard

I am renovating an 1870s house in MA and started by gutting a small bedroom on the 2nd floor. After insulating, I plan to install blueboard with veneer plaster. I have read DIY books, Building codes and these discussion groups but I cant figure out whether I need 5/8" or 1/2" blueboard. I guess it depends on local building codes and where the room is located, but I am wondering what the rule of thumb is? 1/2" blueboard is readily available, while I would need to go to a commercial dealer to get 5/8". Which brings up another question....does 1/2" blueboard/sheetrock plus the 1/8" veneer count as the 5/8? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Where I live 5/8 is used on both sides of a wall for a fire wall. Like between the garage and the home.

1/2 is used for all other applications. Unless your local authority has a requirement for "blue board" I would only use it when it was near water or high humidity, like the kitchen or bathroom.

No half inch with a coat of plaster is not considered 5/8 where I live.

Best check with the building gurus where you live.

Reply to
SQLit

Thanks...that helps! I have heard of using 5/8" between a garage and home...what are other places where a "fire-wall" is required?

Reply to
Joe

Note: The IRC allows 1/2" now instead of 5/8" on a firewall. However your state may not have adopted the IBC yet.

Reply to
G Henslee

Your post doesn't indicate why you think you need 5/8". 1/2" should suffice.

Also, here's an excellent primer about wallboard(s) and the reason why blueboard *should* be used for your veneer.

G Henslee

In a residence? No other areas that I am aware of. Speaking about single family detached housing.

Reply to
SQLit

Boiler room (if you've got one) and some types of furnace rooms. This might just be for rental properties, though.

Reply to
Prometheus

Thanks for that. Scratching around in the back of my mind was a vague recollection that 5/8 rock is required on ceilings. Last time I had need for that was over 30 years ago. I see I was right but that there is a 1/2" product that is a 5/8 equivalent.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks for all the info!