5.8 FLA, 34.8 LRA

Related to the previous post.
A friend takes care of a commerical steam boiler which has a low-water cutoff, whose output switch is rated 5.8 FLA, 34.8 LRA . What is the difference between FL amps and LR amps? The Flash vs the Lone Ranger?

Full Load Amps Locked Rotor Amps
i.e. running vs. startup current

Great. thanks. Never saw it before, but I think I can remember it.
LRA isn't starting current.

Great. thanks. Never saw it before, but I think I can remember it.

LRA is identical to starting current, so your alleged point is moot.

If the motor turns when power is applied, the peak current is the LRA, but it only lasts for a fraction of a second and then drops as soon as the motor armature starts rotating.
On 12/16/2012 2:55 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

Exactly, at the moment the motor is energized it is not moving and is essentially "locked"
FLA, full load amps, is the current draw under full load. LRA, locked rotor amps, is the current draw if the center rotor is locked and cannot move.