45 gallon oil drums support weight?

Need information on how much weight can a common 55 gallon _oil_ drum (with top and bottom lids still welded on) support without collapsing. Anyone know where I can get that info? Thanks. Jack

email mfrs? they'd know because drums are stacked.

(with
Why ???

Different types, different specs--the manufacturers make them to the buyers requirements...like how many he wants to stack on top one another and that.......DOT and international regulations......
If in doubt, suggest fill them with sand or even better, concrete......
--

SVL

From experience, they can hold 2000 pounds OK. If you are planning a lot more, check with the manufacturer if it is more weight or a life type situation. they may or may not give you that information. Drums are meant to hold a product so they probably would not want to get into potential liability for another use or a secondary use.
Full drum holds more? (Water isn't compressable like air).
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

it's going to depend on the particular drum... some drums might be bulkier than others.
We stack our drums three high, so the bottom drum is holding (55 gal*8.2 lbs/gal) = 451lbs + weight of drum*2 beyond that, i can't help you.
--
be safe.
flip