40+ year old pool deck (kool deck)

I have a REALLY old kool deck that is beyond repair. Massive cracks and chipping up everywhere. What I would like to do is to have it grind down (while the slope is maintained) and have tile put on. I hear travertine is nice for hot weather, I live in AZ.

Just wondering if anyone else has some good ideas.

Keith

Reply to
Mr. K

Tile might get slippery when wet. you want somethign rougher like flagstone around a pool for traction.

Reply to
mook johnson

What caused the massive cracks? If it is settling do you think it has stopped? I'd want to know that before I put expensive tile on it.

My pool deck settled and I removed the loose concrete, used Bondo Household putty to fill the cracks, and then painted with deck paint. If it settles more I can just fill in and paint. Cost was probably < $70.00. I took a piece of the deck to HD and matched the color. It&#39;s holding up well so far.

I could see where the previous owner did some sort of recoating but it didn&#39;t stop the settling. I&#39;ll bet he was pissed.

od

Reply to
olddog

Second that. I have silver quartzite flagging around my pool and it gives very good footing when wet. This comes from Idaho so it is probably a bit cheaper there. We laid it ourselves. It is time consuming but if you do it a little at a time it is not that hard to do. We have about 2000 square feet of it now (according to the tax collector)

Reply to
gfretwell