40 volts at one elec outlet

House is ~50 years old. Copper Wiring. On one 20a circuit there are a number of duplex boxes. On three adjacent to each other the voltage reads 120 -- ~40 -- 120. The previous owner switched one box to a single receptacle and switch. And wired to the switch a lamp (incandescent) in a new skylight. The operation of which has always been problematic.

I tracked down the low voltage recaptacle when I move the refrigerator plug to that outlet.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Reply to
Don't Wait Up

noemail

Does that 40V outlet work at all? Are you measuring it under load? Are you using a digital meter? I suspect that outlet may not be getting any current, but still will show voltage on a sensitive digital meter. A quick check using an old analog meter would tell you what is happening?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

IMHO, not your electrician, you have a wiring problem, that should be looked at. Low voltage conditions can be detrimental to your equipment.

Now if I was there, my first step would be to toss in a circuit checker. The proceed on based on the results.

Good luck,

tom @

Tom The Great