40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. Family of 2 adults + 2 children

Page 7 of 13
Jonathan Grobe wrote:

Yes, but contracts continually expire and new ones must be negotiated at prevailing prices...
Fuel cost surcharges are standard in virtually all markets so if one watches carefully the effects will undoubtedly start to become apparent w/ time...

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:26:37 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Grobe

Hi Jonathan,
As dpb pointed out, supply contracts allow utilities to purchase coal at a fixed price -- or at a periodically reset price if they contain escalator clauses -- but when they expire the new negotiated price will reflect current market conditions; hedges or multiple contracts that expire at different times will help soften the blow, but they can't put off the inevitable. Higher transportation costs are another contributing factor.
A year ago, my utility was purchasing thermal coal at $60 per metric tonne; today, that has risen to $130 per tonne and the general expectation is that it will be heading higher. They've applied for a 12.1 per cent increase and are negotiating with the PUC to establish a separate fuel rider, which tends to suggests they expect greater long-term price volatility.
Cheers, Paul
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 14:36:34 -0700 (PDT), ransley
Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home.:

Everything hurts the lower class, even prosperity (because the LC doesn't benefit as much from it as everyone else).

$4.15 for regular here in upstate NY.

Yeah? That was Friday, what is it now?

http://www.kcgasprices.com/index.aspx?s=Y&fuel=A&area=Kansas+City+-+Central&station=All+Stations&tme_limit $&site=KC&srch=0&list=0
Ouch.
$3.79 Monday 5pm.

$3.999 in Shawnee KS. That's getting pretty close to 4 bucks.
message wrote:

Yeah, but when it's $4.05 everywhere in Kansas City, he'll be telling us he buys his gas at Habib's Gas & Go, home of near beer and near gas, for only $3.85. ;)
And i suppose in your simple mind, that wouldn't count as being still under $4 in my area eh?

I can get new items at flea markets, but I'm not about to claim that is the "going rate".
This from the link I posted above for Kansas City. Today      3.931 Yesterday     3.937 One Week Ago     3.857 One Month Ago     3.586 One Year Ago     2.914
You have to understand that I am not thrilled about what is happening with gas prices any more than you are, and if there's any bright spot to be had in this situation I'll look for it. The bright spot here seems to be that you're in the same leaky boat with the rest of us. ;)

Sounds about right. KC is always 6 - 7 cents less than Jo Co because of KS tax. I always fill up if I'm over there.
I hear ya. $3.77 tonight. Cleveland , Missouri. Put damn near FIFTY dollars worth in a freakin Saturn!

Now we are suposed to believe you moved from KC to Missouri, give it up.

What? They guy's not allowed to travel?

You do understadn that KC IS in Missouri and Cleveland is a small town on the south side of KC, right?

There is Kansas City, Kansas
$4.53 where I am. Less than two weeks ago, when I filled up, it was $4.09.
Cheri
S. Barker wrote in message

FIFTY

Cheap. $4.39 tonight. In MA (where I work)I can still get $3.99

Our government wont do squat, never did , never will. I super insulated mine, turning off a car at a light is a pain in the ass and probably wouldnt save me much since I have no brakes.