40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. Family of 2 adults + 2 children

Page 6 of 13

But just 16 months ago, many of us were paying just over $2.00 a gallon in many areas.
Greenspan's "monetary accomodation" began in the late 90's and continues today. So why the CURRENT price surge, and why did it take so long to hit home?
Not a time warp. Just a normal place. You can't call the west coast a normal place. Everything is three to ten times higher than it should be out there. You should be thankful the gas is not $12 a gallon.

Still hanging on to that belief? Based on your link it's gone up sixty or seventy cents per gallon in less than two months. Your powers of prognostication are wanting.

And now how much higher is it going?

It's easier to point out the want of prognostication powers in others than to have the power yourself. ;)
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 10:27:02 -0700 (PDT), ransley

I don't think anyone can give you a good answer. However, one thing to note is that the crack spread as shown below has all but disappeared, so if refinery margins eventually return to normal levels (and if that doesn't happen soon, many refiners will go out of business), gas will be selling between $4.30 and $4.50 a gallon. In California, regular unleaded is already in the range of $4.45 to $4.50 and it's likely just a matter of time before the rest of the country follows suit.
http://www.fuelgaugereport.com /
Crude oil jumped almost eleven dollars a barrel on Friday and that came on the heels of some five and a half dollars the day before. Many in the industry believe $150.00 a barrel is just weeks away, so in the absense of a world-wide recession, expect continued upward pressure.
Cheers, Paul
Paul M. Eldridge wrote:

*will be?* it already is, here. just filled up, regular was $4.03; premium was over $4.30.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Hi Nate,
The national average is currently a hair over $4.00, with some areas thirty or forty cents above or below. Again, as higher crude prices make their way through the system and as refiners work to restore margins, the national average should continue to move closer to $4.30 or $4.50 a gallon. Throw in a hurricane or two or war in the Middle East and, well, all bets are off.
Cheers, Paul
Still quite a ways from $4. $3.65 friday nite. hollar at me when we see the $4.....

$3.58 Friday and Saturday until about noon. Hit $3.77 at the cheap stations by Saturday afternoon. I've been afraid to go out today.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

In my town, gas is $4.33 and heating oil is $4.50
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Depends on state taxes. Gas running (E10) 3.72$ most places. Used to be almost everyone was same price but now we are getting 5-10cent shifts within a mile of each other.
Well now IF you wanna talk ethanol, then i can say i'm still paying $2.84 here (for E85) . And am using the explorer almost exclusively because of it.

What a Joke, an Explorer E85 is rated 14 MPG HIGHWAY, e85 is cheap for a reason, and 14 mpg hwy is just dumb, what does it really get in the winter in city driving, 8? The shoe fits.

I pay 4.36, regular, I hope its not as some say, near 5 by 4th of july, this is the making for a long big recession especialy to hurt the lower class, I already see very bad effects.
I pay 4.36, regular, I hope its not as some say, near 5 by 4th of july, this is the making for a long big recession especialy to hurt the lower class, I already see very bad effects.
++++++++++++++++++++
Many of us have already cut back in other areas in anticipation of the next season home heating. At today's prices, I'll be paying an extra $1700 over the last year. That has to come from cutting back in other areas, like eating out, vacation, wear those shoes a little longer. I'd cut back on haircuts, but I eliminated them about three years ago.

Hi Edwin,
Few of us realize what lies ahead. It's not just higher gasoline prices, but rising home heating and cooling costs and higher food prices as well. Just about everything we purchase will be more expensive due to increased energy and transportation costs.
In just the past two years, the price of gasoline, home heating oil and diesel has doubled and by fall that will likely be true of natural gas. Thermal coal prices in some parts of the country have just about tripled in the past year which, in combination with natural gas, will send electricity prices upward. There will be no escaping it, no matter which way you turn.
Cheers, Paul

Here's a discussion of home heating oil in the great state of Maine:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jB1iz_v2c5NmDIa0f6zV5X0VajugD911E7P80
I expect you'll hit the $5.00 a gallon mark sometime this fall and I'm even hearing talk of $6.00, which in light of the recent run-up in crude is probably not out of the question.
I'm currently paying $1.299 per litre/$4.92 a gallon, but that price has been steadily creeping upward week after week; last year, I was locked in at $0.889 a litre or $3.36 a gallon.
In '07-'08, I used a total of 702 litres/185 gallons of fuel oil for space heating and domestic hot water purposes and now that my DHW is pre-heated by a small electric tank, my consumption this coming year should fall below 400 litres/105 gallons. At this point, heating oil prices could double or triple again and the financial impact would be minimal.
Cheers, Paul
On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:27:18 -0300, Paul M. Eldridge

Just to flesh this out a bit more...
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid 601072&refer=energy&sidkOXcpI3dQg
Note the following quote is a little out of date:
``At $4 per gallon gas, $125 per barrel oil and $10 per million Btu natural gas, a lot of activity becomes uneconomical,'' says Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Economy.com..."
Crude oil is now trading between $135.00 and $140.00 a barrel and the Henry Hub and NYC gate spot prices for natural gas are $12.71 and $14.09 per MM BTU respectively.
Cheers, Paul

Don't power companies buy coal via long-term contracts--not on the spot market?
--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at: